Search for the perfect fish tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lowcountrygamecock

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
So I’m on a quest to figure out the perfect fish/shrimp tacos. We have the blackened fish or shrimp perfected but haven’t nailed the slaw or a sauce. We fish a lot and are fortunate to be able to catch our own fresh shrimp in the fall Love to have some good recipes with normal ingredients we would have on hand. Anybody have any good recipes to share?

Reactions: JLeonard
A guy on our fishing forum been doing this:

I've been trying to tweak the sauce recipe for the slaw on the fish tacos and I think we have figured it out. Mayonnaise, sriracha, Asian sweet chili sauce, and Marsala wine. I tried a couple different types of vinegar but the Marsala wine makes it really pop. My son Cash and his friends love it and I can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
I recently made a slaw with red and green cabbage mixed with a yogurt based sauce. The Siracha was added to the "original" recipe. Super bright flavors to pair with the fish!

Lemon Greek Yogurt Sauce

4 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
1 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
Juice of 1 Lemon

Like you, I kinda have the blackened fish tacos down pretty well. Love ‘em, but was looking for something different and came across this recipe. It was great and was a fun cook, which may or may not have been influenced by my BIL’s bourbon collection and a perfect blue sky day.

1674139999804.jpeg

1674140032367.jpeg

1674140057975.jpeg

1674140091296.jpeg

1674140130995.jpeg

1674140159966.jpeg

Like you, I kinda have the blackened fish tacos down pretty well. Love ‘em, but was looking for something different and came across this recipe. It was great and was a fun cook, which may or may not have been influenced by my BIL’s bourbon collection and a perfect blue sky day.
That looks incredible! I will be doing this soon. Thanks

Half head of cabbage sliced thinly
1/2 of a small red onion quartered then sliced thinly
juice of one lime
2TBSPS olive oil
1/4C. chopped cilantro
salt and CBP to taste
IMO the best recipes are the simplest (and fresh). Making this for sure. BOOKMARKED

lowcountrygamecock lowcountrygamecock Man would love a good blackened seasoning if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Looks great! That bourbon collection isn't bad, either.

Best shrimp tacos I've ever had were in Mexico. They did a tempura batter on the shrimp, laid them on blue corn tortillas, and used a red cabbage slaw.

Last edited:
Here ya go zwiller....the original from Chef Paul Prudhomme himself.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/redfish-madness-q-view.264287/#post-1719563
That’s as good a recipe as I know of. We’ve used store bought runs from specialty places, home made rubs and even old bay blackened version and all of them are good. I think good blackened fish is more about technique than seasoning. We cook ours with a little oil or butter on a hot blackstone and don’t touch it until it’s ready to turn. One flip, cook some more and done.

I'm the guy who swears that the perfect fish taco doesn't exist. Fried fish, shredded lettuce and ridiculous amounts of tarter sauce is about the only way I'll eat one. Something about fish and corn tortillas doesn't jive well with my taste buds - and I love cornmeal fried fish. Gotta be flour tortillas.

I bet that green stuff TripleLindy TripleLindy posted is delicious though. I know I'd eat it on any other kind of mexican - and maybe on a shrimp taco. Salsa verde is my jam.

I bet that green stuff TripleLindy TripleLindy posted is delicious though.
Yep, it’s good stuff. Here’s the recipe:

Avocado Salsa Verde: (Y ~ 1 qt)
  • 1 lb tomatillos, husks peeled
  • 2-3 Anaheim peppers
  • 4 large jalapeño peppers
  • Flesh of 2 small avocados
  • 1 small yellow onion, quartered
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • juice of 1 lime
  • Salt to taste
Grill the tomatillos, peppers and onion over the direct flame until the outsides are nicely charred. The peppers should be blackened on the outside. Place the peppers in a zip-top bag. Allow the peppers to steam in the bag for 10-15 minutes.

Remove the peppers from the bag. Remove the stems and seeds. Peel the skins from the flesh and discard. Roughly chop the flesh of the peppers. Remove the stems from the onions and roughly chop. Combine all salsa ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Reactions: indaswamp
I will marinate shrimp in a mixture of oil, water, siracha, Old Bay Hot, and a squeeze of lime juice for about an hour then grill. Very thin slice radish, onion, and then top with a cilantro jalapeno sauce ( 3 jalapenos, 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 TBSP minced garlic, 2 TBSP lime juice, 1/2cup mayo, salt and pepper to taste, in blender).

I realize this thread is a few months old but thought I’d share…

Living in Southern California is a blessing and a curse. I won’t bore y’all with the negatives but will say that one of the blessings is the abundance of great Mexican food. Besides Carne and Apollo Asada tacos/burritos, fish tacos can be found at most fast food places as well as walk-in dining restaurants. One local fast food chain specializes in “Baja” fish tacos which are made of batter-fried fish, crisp cabbage, white sauce, handmade salsa served on a corn tortilla with a wedge of lime on the side. The white sauce is nothing more than 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 cup plain yogurt mixed together and placed in the refrigerator to meld. The salsa is finely chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro and a pepper of choice, we like Jalapeños or Serranos.

Tortillas are heated both sides on an oiled griddle and plated. The fried fish is placed in the middle, shredded cabbage put on and then the white sauce and salsa added. You can then add a squirt of lime and/or hot sauce to complete your taco.

I’ve had fish tacos south of the border many times and the simple version above is how they are made on the Baja coast as well as the Pacific.

Hope this helps…Semper Fi

I realize this thread is a few months old but thought I’d share…

Living in Southern California is a blessing and a curse. I won’t bore y’all with the negatives but will say that one of the blessings is the abundance of great Mexican food. Besides Carne and Apollo Asada tacos/burritos, fish tacos can be found at most fast food places as well as walk-in dining restaurants. One local fast food chain specializes in “Baja” fish tacos which are made of batter-fried fish, crisp cabbage, white sauce, handmade salsa served on a corn tortilla with a wedge of lime on the side. The white sauce is nothing more than 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 cup plain yogurt mixed together and placed in the refrigerator to meld. The salsa is finely chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro and a pepper of choice, we like Jalapeños or Serranos.

Tortillas are heated both sides on an oiled griddle and plated. The fried fish is placed in the middle, shredded cabbage put on and then the white sauce and salsa added. You can then add a squirt of lime and/or hot sauce to complete your taco.

I’ve had fish tacos south of the border many times and the simple version above is how they are made on the Baja coast as well as the Pacific.

Hope this helps…Semper Fi
Sounds delicious

Reactions: flatbroke
Slaw made with Dukes hint of lime for the mayo is really good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky