Seafood Diablo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Now that I have finally received my first Covid 19 vaccine, the thoughts of traveling again are dancing in my head.

Two years ago my wife and I visited her sister in Maryland where we dined at a popular restaurant called Timbuktu near the Baltimore International Airport.

I had a pasta dish called Seafood Diablo which I tried to duplicate and then posted my creation. Since that time I have refined my recipe and wish to share it with all of you again. It is just too delicious not to share with others.

Seafood Diablo

Marinara Sauce Ingredients
  • 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano style tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
  • crushed red pepper flakes (usually a pinch, but I use 1 teaspoon for additional spiciness for sauce used in Seafood Diablo)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 large fresh basil sprig
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

IMG_0780.jpg

Pour tomatoes into a large bowl and crush with your hands. Pour 1 cup water into the can and slosh around to get the tomato juices and reserve.

In a large skillet ( do not use a deep pot ) over medium heat, heat the oil. When it is hot, add the garlic.
IMG_0782.jpg

As soon as the garlic is sizzling ( do not let it brown ), add the tomatoes and the reserved tomato water. Add the red pepper flakes, sugar, and salt. Stir.

Place the basil sprig, including stem, on the surface (like a flower ). Let it wilt, and then submerge into the sauce.
IMG_0786.jpg

Simmer the sauce until thickened and oil on surface is a deep orange, about 20 minutes. Discard basil sprig. The sauce is now ready to serve.

Seafood Diablo Ingredients
  • Scallops
  • Shrimp
  • Clams
  • Mussels
  • Lump crab meat
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

• Fettuccini or linquini (prepared according to package directions)
  • Marinara sauce (from recipe above)
IMG_0787.jpg

Saute the seafood in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.

After about 5 minutes, add the white wine and parsley. Continue to simmer until liquid has reduced.
IMG_0792.jpg

Pour the sauteed seafood over the pasta, cover with marinara sauce, and top with the lump crab meat.
IMG_0796.jpg

Thanks for viewing and I hope you all enjoy this dish as much as I do.

John

Last edited:
WOA! John, that looks truly amazing! great cook, plate...i'll be right there!

That is one awesome looking meal! Too bad my wife doesn't care for clams or mussels. But I am going to add this to my recipe box anyway. Thanks, John.

Anything with seafood and garlic has my name on it. Looks great.

I've had several versions of Diablo dishes, some were spicy, others had more veggies and maybe 1 or 2 kinds of shell fish. They are all good.

You hit that one out of the park. Seafood Diablo is one of my favorite dishes. But only I'll eat it because of the clams. I need to tone it down when the wife eats it. Big like!

That dish looks fantastic. Thanks for the recipe and for showing how to make it. We have an Italian restaurant that serves Shrimp Diablo that is good, but
this looks like it beats it hands down. Can't wait to make it.

Looks great and a nice combo of seafood. I've not had this dish in quite a few years, not everyone in my crew eats seafood.😕 Your Sauce recipe is nicely balanced...JJ

Just a tip for all. The flavor of Fresh Herbs can be highly volatile. Some are more hearty than others. Fresh Thyme can stand long cooking times, Cilantro Leaves don't hold up more than a couple of minutes. For the best result, add Dry Herbs from the beginning and Fresh Herbs near the end of cooking a dish or sauce.
A good trick, and John you reminded me of it, 👍is to add bundles of Soft Herb Stems from the beginning. Then add the Leaves near the end. There is no waste and the Herbal flavor develops a Layered effect giving your food that something extra that makes people wonder why your food is so much better than their's...

Reactions: HalfSmoked
That is one awesome looking meal! Too bad my wife doesn't care for clams or mussels. But I am going to add this to my recipe box anyway. Thanks, John.
SmokinGame SmokinGame

I feel you pal. . .My wife refers to mussels as bait!

Give the recipe a try. I think you will like it and not want to share it with your wife.

Enjoy,

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky