• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sea Trout

nimrod

Meat Mopper
Joined May 7, 2010
Sea Trout is mighty fine eating fish. Best oven baked rather than smoked. Its not a fatty fish.
We just caught a mess of Spanish Mackerel, had a few fillets for dinner and the rest are in the smoker.
Enjoy!

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Most of our fish is breaded and fried.
We just mix Old Bay into flour and dust the filets.

Warren

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
That a nice bunch of fish. Blacken my favorite. I just give fish a nice coat of Blacken seasoning. I start pan medium hot than when about 375 put a Tablespoon or so of Coconut Oil or oil of your choice in pan. I don't get as hot as most people. Put fish in and turn down to about medium. Fry until about 145. Does not hurt to turn fish over couple times.

CFLJOHN512

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 9, 2020
Oh man. Great eating. I catch em year round here in FL. Soak in lemon juice for 10 mins, dredge in seasoned flour, then in eggs, then in a mix of crushed saltines and Parmesan. Pan fry it up for the best fish you’ll ever eat.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 26, 2019
That a nice bunch of fish. Blacken my favorite. I just give fish a nice coat of Blacken seasoning. I start pan medium hot than when about 375 put a Tablespoon or so of Coconut Oil or oil of your choice in pan. I don't get as hot as most people. Put fish in and turn down to about medium. Fry until about 145. Does not hurt to turn fish over couple times.
Key to blackening is first dipping your filets in melted butter. Then hit with seasoning and straight on the cast iron

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Key to blackening is first dipping your filets in melted butter. Then hit with seasoning and straight on the cast iron
That way seemed to smoke a lot. I started just seasoning without any oil or butter on fish and they turn out good, maybe not exactly blackened but real moist and tasty. I don't have an exhaust vent.

20190904_164446.jpg

Last edited:

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup I can go for blacken fish. Especially blacken catfish filets.

Warren

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Ray it is appreciated.

Warren

1MoreFord

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2020
Yes, a proper blackening is done outside with a little breeze or under a commercial vent-a-hood.:emoji_wink:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.