Screwed up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Ran the cast iron through the oven clean cycle to start fresh on seasoning. Thought they were cool enough and placed in a new rack I had bought for the CI. It had a plastic coating on it. Yeah, you guessed right..... melted plastic to the bottom of all my cast iron. Stupid right? So my question, can I do the oven clean again and burn the plastic off or would I be better off scraping it?

I would try heating up the CI in the oven again until the plastic becomes just mallable, not molten and then use a stiff bristle wire brush to remove the softened plastic. You might need to reseason the CI too.

If the above doesn't work, then it's back to square one with burning it all off in oven clean cycle and starting the seasoning process all over again.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Second hand has you pretty well covered. If any will scrape off fairly easily I would try that first, then just heat it to where the rest will remove easily. If it's just on bottom of pan not so bad but if on the inside reseason.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky