Screwed Up a Packer Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
Would appreciate any comments on how I screwed up a prime packer brisket. I monitored 3 probes in the brisket: flat, mid and point (temp profile attached). At stall, it was put in a covered aluminum pan for the rest of the smoke. It finished earlier than expected, so it rested for 5 hours. The result was a very dry flat, a stringy mid-section, and a juicy point. I think Jeff placed the probe in the middle of the brisket and it turned out ok. Where did I go wrong? And would appreciate your thoughts on how to use the drier and stringier part of the brisket.
Thanks

Attachments

• Brisket Temp Profile 022022.jpg
    Brisket Temp Profile 022022.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 40
Don't feel bad. I had a packer from HEB that I did last month. Using all the steps I've done for the last 5 years or so, It came out the toughest, stringiest brisket I've ever had. I blame the meat

Make sure the probe is in meat and not in fat. Probe with a tooth pick or instant read temp. probe for tenderness....not temp. alone.
I am cooking a brisket now...I start probing every hour once the temp. reaches 190*F in the thickest part of the point where the point and flat meet.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I find, it's not so much the final highest INT in the brisket so much as the time above 180*F because that is when the tough collagen starts breaking down. Some are tougher than others.....it is done when it is done.

The brisket I am cooking hit INT of 180*F @11:45a.m. It is now 1:23p.m. and the INT just hit 190*F . I probe checked it across the flat and the point. Tender everywhere except one small spot on top the point. I'm gonna let it go another hour. I let the chamber temp. climb up to 265*F once the INT hit 180*INT.....been running 230-250*F for the entire cook. When I checked it, chamber temp. dropped....I'm gonna let it ride until tender.

Last edited:
I find, it's not so much the final highest INT in the brisket so much as the time above 180*F because that is when the tough collagen starts breaking down. Some are tougher than others.....it is done when it is done.
The flat was like butter way before the mid and point. I almost decided to cut it off as I did on my first brisket -- not knowing any better.

I repeatedly tested it after 180F. I left it resting for 5 hours. Could that have dried out the flat?

Sometimes a brisket with a thin flat and a thick point will cook like that. What I like to do is take some butchers twine and truss the flat side to squeeze it tighter together so that it is thicker so the whole brisket cooks more even.

Would appreciate any comments on how I screwed up a prime packer brisket. I monitored 3 probes in the brisket: flat, mid and point (temp profile attached). At stall, it was put in a covered aluminum pan for the rest of the smoke. It finished earlier than expected, so it rested for 5 hours. The result was a very dry flat, a stringy mid-section, and a juicy point. I think Jeff placed the probe in the middle of the brisket and it turned out ok. Where did I go wrong? And would appreciate your thoughts on how to use the drier and stringier part of the brisket.
Thanks

1. I've said many times, an overthought brisket is an underdone brisket. An underdone brisket will be dry and tough because the hard-worked collagen in the muscle hasn't melted. Just because if is beef it can't be evaluated like a lazy steak muscle.

Based on the OP's statement above with three probes and a graph, it was cooked to temp not probed for tenderness. (BTW, the fattier point will often probe tender and read at a high temp due to the fat content. Fat melts faster than collagen).

2. Anytime something finishes earlier than expected, it is an indicator. Of what? So many things (probe placement, accuracy, chamber temp, etc). Once I stopped using technology as a path to perfection and returned to the "feel" of probing for tenderness, my results improved dramatically. Internal temp is a guide, never a destination. I probe only the flat for tenderness because the point will lie to you.

3. Rested for 5 hours. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I rest briskets and butts covered in a 170F oven, often 3-5 hours. I've found better results resting in the heat of an oven rather than a cooler with blankets.

The drier portions make great chili. Been there, done that.

1. I've said many times, an overthought brisket is an underdone brisket. An underdone brisket will be dry and tough because the hard-worked collagen in the muscle hasn't melted. Just because if is beef it can't be evaluated like a lazy steak muscle.

Based on the OP's statement above with three probes and a graph, it was cooked to temp not probed for tenderness. (BTW, the fattier point will often probe tender and read at a high temp due to the fat content. Fat melts faster than collagen).

2. Anytime something finishes earlier than expected, it is an indicator. Of what? So many things (probe placement, accuracy, chamber temp, etc). Once I stopped using technology as a path to perfection and returned to the "feel" of probing for tenderness, my results improved dramatically. Internal temp is a guide, never a destination. I probe only the flat for tenderness because the point will lie to you.

3. Rested for 5 hours. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I rest briskets and butts covered in a 170F oven, often 3-5 hours. I've found better results resting in the heat of an oven rather than a cooler with blankets.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Thanks. All makes sense. I used probes as guides since this was my 2nd brisket. I did probe for tenderness and let the flat fo too long after it probed tender. The mid-section never did probe tender. Anyway, I'll try it again.

Thanks

Like many of the other folks are saying, the brisket is done when it is tender. Never by time or temp.
One thing rarely talked about with brisket and temp probes. It is DIFFICULT to get the probe in the proper spot for the best temp measurement. The best spot is the thickest yet center most portion of the FLAT muscle.
It's so difficult to get placed correctly that I use 3 probes from different angles aiming for the correct spot and roll with the lowest one. One of the 3 usually gets close.

HOWEVER, the temp only tells me when to check for tenderness. I start checking at 200F or so using a wooden kabob skewer and stab ALL OVER. If no resistance then its tender and ready. If resistance I let temp raise a couple of degrees and check again later until it is done.

Trimming away thin flat meat really helps as well since thin flat meat will just burn up on you. Here is a post I did on how I trim a brisket so it cooks as evenly as possible. One major key is to get 15lb+ briskets so once you cut away the thin flat meat you have plenty of thick uniform flat meat left to eat. Repurpose that thin flat meat for many things :)

Finally, if you have dry and tough brisket (undercooked) you can easily save it. Just throw it in a pan or in a crock pot with some BBQ sauce and seal air tight and just cook until it braises and falls apart into shredded brisket. It will be amazing because basically you are finishing the cook this way versus in the smoker.
It's more than salvaging the meat. It's getting the best out of it and would be great like you planned it :)

I do 1-2 briskets a month since I live in cheap brisket land so I tell you all of this from experience :) I hope this info helps and you get great briskets.

Thank you all for the advice. Once all this sinks in, I'll smoke another, probably next week. Last night I mixed some of the juice from the smoke with BBQ sauce and made sloppy joes. Quite good, and I don't feel so badly about screwing up the brisket. Tonight, I'll tackle the point. Thanks again.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky