Score!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
Got a free meat fridge for the barn. My friend's sister got a new one and wanted him to haul the old one off. He knew I wanted a fridge for my barn and asked if I wanted it. I was like, hell yes I want it if it still works!

Don't look none too pretty, but it works.

Meat fridge.jpg

Meat fridge1.jpg

Keep the freezer 1/2 full to keep it from running a lot, also keep a eye out for rodents chewing wires and making it quit running, why a mouse will chew plastic I have no idea why. Love having extra space in fridge or freezer

Reactions: DougE
If you haven't done so, hook up a water line to the icemaker. The extra ice comes in real handy around my house when we have a crowd.

Reactions: DougE
Keep the freezer 1/2 full to keep it from running a lot, also keep a eye out for rodents chewing wires and making it quit running, why a mouse will chew plastic I have no idea why. Love having extra space in fridge or freezer

Check. The freezer has a bunch of water jugs in it for thermal mass for the time being.

If you haven't done so, hook up a water line to the icemaker. The extra ice comes in real handy around my house when we have a crowd.
I thought about that. I have a frost free hydrant next to the fridge I use to run my sink, but I don't know if I want to fool with running an ice maker off of it too.

Nice score. FYI for refers in Cold spaces...JJ

Good info there. I'm thinking I may just shut it down for winter, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes time. The fridge is in a room within the barn (it's a really huge pole barn) that also serves as my shop and I would eventually like to insulate it really well and install a mini split or something like that for cooling and heating.

Nice score!
We have been trying to downsize a bit & got rid of one refrigerator, but still have 2. The second one is full of pickles & beer!
Al
Hopefully more beer than pickles. :emoji_sunglasses:

She isn't pretty, but for the barn who cares
Just wife and I these days and we couldn't get by without the second fridge
It's mainly just me and the wife here, too, but all my smokers are in the barn so I wanted a fridge out there to keep stuff I'm going to smoke in. The house and barn aren't that far apart, but it's still a pain to keep going back and forth. This way, I can just pull the meat out of the fridge, do all my prep, chuck it on which ever smoker I'm using, then just take the finished product to the house. I'm also thinking I want to try my hand at bacon and maybe sausage and there really isn't room in the house fridge to dedicate to curing.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky