School me on why I need cast iron frying pans.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I imagine you have to heat them up for a while before putting in the food?
Not always, depends on what you're cooking. I do burgers from a cold pan. The maillard effect creates a beautiful crust before flipping. I'll also do a thick steak or chop from a cold pan and preheat oven. When it comes time for the flip I add a probe and chuck it in the oven.

I am into the second round of seasoning with avacado oil running between 350 and 400. How many more rounds should I do before first use?

I am into the second round of seasoning with avacado oil running between 350 and 400. How many more rounds should I do before first use?
You're good! Time to start using. I usually start with bacon first...if for no other reason it gives me an excuse to eat bacon lol!

Ryan

Saw a recipe for a pineapple cherry upside down cake in the CI, Going have to figure how to make it keto before trying. Maybe use carbquick instaead of flour. Will need to research sugar substitutes as well.

Reactions: chopsaw
Not sure about you , but I'm excited . Lol .
I just got these 6 " pans from my Son for Christmas . Used them for some corn bread .
1642020211168.jpeg

My 100 plus year old Griswold is my pride and joy pan. We have a large set of Al Clad stainless and non stick that are really good and will also last forever. However, stuff like fried eggs and seared meats are just better off the Griswold, and the non stick properties of cast iron is better than any other type of non stick.

Last edited:
Reasons for cast iron... Well, most of what i was gonna say has been said, except for the only quote by Anthony Bourdain I've found myself agreeing with
" if upon hefting a frying pan if you have any doubt whether it's the pan that will dent on someone's head instead of the reverse, throw it away."

Good for bacon and home invasions

Reactions: BigW.
"School me on why I need cast iron frying pans."

They cook better than any other pans available, and when you drop a pan on your toe, you really want it to make a mark, or it didn't happen.

Reactions: JLeonard
OP, with your avatar I can't believe I, or someone else, didn't mention that a big CI skillet or flat griddle along with a good outdoor high BTU burner are the proper tools for blackening fish fillets. Nothing beats it. Get it almost red hot and drop fillets that have been seasoned and dipped into melted butter onto the CI after putting a TBS or so on the CI. The butter should ignite as should the fillets for a moment. A minute or so per side and a good sized catfish fillet should be done to perfection. Repeat til all are done.

Reactions: JLeonard
OP, with your avatar I can't believe I, or someone else, didn't mention that a big CI skillet or flat griddle along with a good outdoor high BTU burner are the proper tools for blackening fish fillets. Nothing beats it. Get it almost red hot and drop fillets that have been seasoned and dipped into melted butter onto the CI after putting a TBS or so on the CI. The butter should ignite as should the fillets for a moment. A minute or so per side and a good sized catfish fillet should be done to perfection. Repeat til all are done.
Funny, I do like to fish but don't eat it much. The avatar name came for my addiction to keeping and breeding tropical fish. I have 14 fish tanks from 20 gallons up to 125 gallons. Also a 13' x 32' 5500 gallon Koi pond.
fish.JPG
pond.JPG
catfish2.jpg
pond.png

Because nothing heats or cleans easier. Its like the "Ron-co-Matic" slicer, or knives, they are fine for a starter set if you are in a bind. Sooner or later you'll replace them with the good stuff.

BUT now my number one reason for loving cast iron is listening to the Nephew and Nephew-in-Law, discussing my cast iron. LOL I just sit and laugh.

I won't bore yall with my cast iron, but I love it all and use it all the time, heres one of my favorite out door CI pots. I have more even bigger for big jambalayas, but below is just my perfect at home size.

018.JPG

EDIT, you can tell its old, look at the wall thickness!!

how do you make them? I am going to buy a whole belly to try and make bacon, is that just he skin or a fat connectd to it? Fry in oil?

how do you make them? I am going to buy a whole belly to try and make bacon, is that just he skin or a fat connectd to it? Fry in oil?

Cracklins has the meat and fat cooked down with it.

Fried Pig skins has just the skin processed and fried. If you are making bacon, you will not be making cracklings. Pig skins is just too much trouble for me to make and I value the smoked pig skin too much for that (they are just made for a pot of beans and the piece make dog treats).

Ask the butcher, he'll probley have dehydrated skins ready to fry. I always have a couple of containers I keep in the freezer, good for beer and ball games.

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky