Saying Thank You With BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Day 3 at Ronald McDonald House
Went in at 0630am and helped prepare the one breakfast per week that is served, Wednesday is breakfast day all others are fend for yourself in the kitchen.
We put out 30 meals, FCFS. it took awhile for them all to finally get eaten, a lot of people still opted for making their own breakfasts.

We served, Scrambled Eggs, Baked Bacon, Grits, Conecuh Sausage Muffins and Blueberry Baked Oatmeal.
It was institutional cooking, nothing too fancy, wham, bam, get it done.
all portioned into standard three compartment foam food containers.

I handled the scrambled eggs, cracking 7.5 dozen eggs gets monotonous.
Added 2c whole milk, 3T salt and used an electric hand mixer to whisk till frothy.
I cooked in two batches, in two nice, extra deep/wide enameled cast iron frying pans.
Never cooked scrambled eggs in bulk before, not too hard to handle with due attention, and they came out pretty good, nice and moist.

Everything but the CI got a hand scrub and rinse, then into the dishwashers.
CI got scrubbed with chain mail, rinsed and re-seasoned.

So goes my first cooking experience at the RMH.

Dinners are being done the same way, prepared boxes.
They do want to go back to a self service buffet as people can take what they want and how much, less wasted food by not having to cook every item to max quantity.

Dinner is served at 6pm, I don't want to be there that late so I don't think I'll do any dinners.
But I will do breakfast again, next Wednesday we're doing French Toast as the main course. Mmmm, I like French Toast.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
PT for the heart.

Wow. When under great stress, as these parents must be, food is a great stress reliever. It is a time to relax and enjoy something tasty that was prepared for you. Even though they may not realize why they feel comforted. What a great way to offer your talents.

You have inspired me.

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky