1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Say Cheese!

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by 73saint, Mar 5, 2018.

1. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Cold smoked my first ever batch of cheese this weekend. Had some cooler temps, and I have been dying to try my Lang in unison w/ my Amaze-n smoker tube & maze. I started with Gouda, two types of Swiss, Havarti, Provolone, Habanero Jack, Tomato Basil Cheddar (Cabot) & white, extra sharp Cheddar (Cabot). I used a combo of Apple pellets, as well as Pitmasters choice sawdust. Started the smoke at 4:45 am, took the cheese off at 8:45. I wanted a good deep smoke so I went for the max time. Temps stayed plenty cool, and even though it's currently aging in the fridge (2 weeks is what I'm thinking), I sampled a wee bit of the Gouda and it tastes amazing, Cannot wait to enhance some recipes w smoked cheesy goodness!

As usual 99.9% of the knowledge I gained to take on this task came from this forum, so thanks to everyone for input, posts, recipes, etc. This is a great site!
    IMG_9560.JPG IMG_9553.jpg IMG_9555.JPG IMG_9556.JPG

Attached Files:

DrewJ, gmc2003 and west1979 like this.
  2. west1979

west1979 Newbie

MN
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to try the cold smoke.

73saint likes this.
  3. SmokinGame

SmokinGame Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

Nice looking batch. Never tried the tomato basil cheddar. Sounds good.

73saint likes this.
  4. Looks great. I have never had any smoked cheese, which do you like the best? I will have to read a lot more about cheese smoking soon.

5. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

Dang looks good! Habanero Jack sounds great. I did my first ever cheese smoke yesterday cant wait to try it. Sitting in my beer fridge with a loose amount of saran wrap over it going to vac seal it when I get home from work. Only problem is all my beer tastes like smoked cheese now!

73saint likes this.
  6. ksblazer

ksblazer Meat Mopper

Looks great to me

I'm really getting into smoking cheese. Did up 11lb's last month. Did a variety as I wanted to see how they would turn out.

Did some Mozzarella, Swiss, pepper jack, medium cheddar, Monterey jack. Tried them all accept for the Mozzarella and they turned out good. Especially the Swiss, Cheddar and Pepper Jack. Used cherry/hickory combo pellets.

So Saturday I bought just a tad over 3lb of pepper jack and just under 3.5lb's of muenster. Smoked them up with just cherry and they are vacuum sealed now and resting for the rest of the month in the fridge.

73saint likes this.
  7. 73saint

I prefer smoked gouda, but I will tell you for sure after I sample this batch.

8. 73saint

So how long are you letting your age?

9. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SmokinVOLfan and 73saint like this.
  10. 73saint

11. 73saint

So, did I mess up by not flipping my cheese half way through the smoke? I notice one side definitely didn't get as much color as the side that was up.

12. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks real good!
    Al

13. SmokinVOLfan

I just did a big batch too and I didn't flip mine either. I don't know this but my guess is it shouldn't matter about the flip, it should absorb the smoke all around. Smoked Gouda is amazing but I couldn't find any before I did my batch. Hard not to crack into it before 2 weeks!

73saint likes this.
  14. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Everything looks great! I need to do some more im almost out

15. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

I don't normally flip the cheese mid-cook either. Your's looks great nice color. Bet is gonna taste great.

Point for sure

Chris

16. ksblazer

ksblazer Meat Mopper

From the research I did on this forum. I waited 2 weeks and the Monterrey Jack tasted good. I have tried a few more over the last couple of weeks and as expected it tasted even better.

Side note: I did try a crumble that fell off while resting on the counter. It was smaller than a BB and did not taste good at all. Kind of like burnt tire on hickory is the best way I can describe it.

Had to replace some of the cheese I've ate and wanted more before it starts to get too warm. So I did up 3lb's more of pepper jack and 3.4lb's of muenster Saturday.

The cheese drawer in the refrigerator is now full.

Also have two 2lb blocks of Tillamook 2yr old extra sharp cheddar ready to go next, when I clear some more room in the cheese drawer.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    73saint likes this.
  17. 73saint

That's funny Blazer, I did the same thing. Had so much fun the first go-round, Tuesday night, I smoked another batch of some primo cheddar I got from Restaurant Depot. My fridge is full....

IMG_9612.JPG IMG_9613.JPG IMG_9614.JPG IMG_9622.jpg

18. SmokinVOLfan

That cheese looks damn good! Took on some really nice color!

I might have to do some more this weekend too. The 21 blocks I did this past weekend mock me every time I open the fridge to get a beer.

73saint likes this.
  19. Very nice spread and looks are great. I'm not sure how I would handle the wait (aging), it would drive me nuts!!
    Is four hours the maximum time for smoking cheese? As soon as I get my smoker and the outside temps drop, I plan on smoking cheese and any advise my the experts in this forum will be appreciated.