@sawhorseray made me do it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fantastic piece of work there Clif, looks to be absolutely done to perfection! Thanks for the shout out, very kind of you. Grats on the ride, well deserved! RAY

Reactions: clifish
Awesome! That looks like an incredible bird! Great work, points all day!
Thanks Chris
Fantastic piece of work there Clif, looks to be absolutely done to perfection! Thanks for the shout out, very kind of you. Grats on the ride, well deserved! RAY
Thanks Ray, my box of cherry spits came in today so I will be set to do the turkey in a couple weeks.

sausage making stuff, check. Slicer, check. Several different types of smokers, check. Grill for searing, check. Sous vide cooker, check. Now I need a rotisserie (sigh) .......
Yeah...there is always something on here that catches my interest. Now I'm amazoning rotisserie too!
But that is one great looking bird! And I bet it tasted great too.
Jim

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Nothing as good as a dizzy chicken. I will try the lidless version next time. The only wood source I have for splits is the bundles they sell at the grocery for firewood. Wonder if I can use that. Oak chunks are impossible to source around here.

I agree it looks amazing. I'll even admit better than the rotisseried birds I've done!
First question is to ask clifish to give an estimate of the distance from his rotisserie center to the coal grates down low. But I'm mostly intrigued by the "uncovered" nature used here...I'd have never even considered it, although it is the logical successor to the cowboy-turning-the-open-fire-spit approach.

So what's happening here? There are folks on this forum that would have a coronary if they had 20F temperature variation during a long cook. This is the VERY EXACT OPPOSITE of that. Every few seconds the meat cycles between being down in the extreme heat of the fire with direct infrared radiation from the coals/splits, to being at the top with maximal cooling from ambient air and zero IR. Can folks with experience spinning bird in both uniform heat (closed) vs. open conditions comment on flavor, skin texture, etc?

My feelings are that for cooking the bulk of the meat under the skin, the thermal time constant exceeds the rotisserie cycle time so all that counts in the average temp through a full cycle. So if the heat load at the bottom of the stroke is equivalent to a 400F oven, and that at the top is ~100F ambient, then it's like cooking at 250F continuous. But the skin and outer layer of meat is seeing that full heating/cooling effect, as well as the basting you get with any spinning. So it's the skin that I really expect to be different in this open configuration from anything I've done closed.

True?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky