Savory Dutch Baby

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Cranked out a savory Dutch baby for breakfast. Turkey breakfast sausage and feta.

This is the recipe I modified. We didn’t have mushrooms, shallots, or Gruyere or Swiss.

3 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound browned breakfast sausage (Iused a 1 pound chub pinched off pieces).
1/2 pound white button mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees F. Whisk the eggs, milk, flour, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a bowl or measuring cup until smooth (a few lumps are fine); cover the batter, and refrigerate until needed.

Cook the sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up any big chunks with the back of a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer to a small bowl, and set aside. Lower the heat to medium, and add the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter to the skillet. Once the butter is bubbling, add the mushrooms, parsley, shallots and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage. Put the skillet in the oven to heat the mushroom-sausage mixture through, 2 minutes. Sprinkle the Gruyere evenly over the mixture, and carefully pour in the batter (make sure that the sausage and mushrooms are evenly distributed over the bottom of the pan). Bake until browned and puffed, 20 to 22 minutes. Serve immediately with salad.

61F58FB0-496E-4026-A766-E7BD057D7345.jpeg

Ive always wanted to do a Dutch baby.....thanks for this...i like savory...i love gruyere and Swiss but I think it may have been a blessing you didnt have them..the feta had to be tasty!!

looks delicous!
Ive always wanted to do a Dutch baby.....thanks for this...i like savory...i love gruyere and Swiss but I think it may have been a blessing you didnt have them..the feta had to be tasty!!
Nice I'll take it as is I like feta.

Warren
That’s a fine fine piece of work!! Lots of flavor.
Wow bud I'd be all over that. Thanks for posting
Thank you it was tasty! I have lots of good ideas for additional savory options.
As soon as Dungeness season opens I think there will be a Dungeness crab version.

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky