Sausage Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wanting to follow up here as I will be making my next batch here

Again will be using wild pig, trimmed very heavily.. Will be using butcher pork fat. Concerns on the dryness. Will be likely upping the wine and possibly the pork fat to 75%?

Also going to decrease the fennel and increase red pepper/cayenne.

Thoughts

30% fat is your friend. And watch the internal temps. 160–ish is where I would pull them. This is only because of game meat. Otherwise IT can be lower.
Thanks will aim for higher.

Alight. I made this again and writing down what I used recipe wise. Attempting to convert tbsp to grams was difficult but it's a start.

Per 1LB of Venison 70/30 grind

Salt 5.5G
Black Pepper 1.2G
Fennel Seed 1.2G
Minced Garlic 2.5G
Crushed Red Pepper 1G
Anise 0.25G
Caraway 0.25G
Coriander 0.25G
Oregano 0.2G
MSG 0.7G
Chilled Red Wine 12ml

This was very difficult to convert and maybe it's not 100% exact to my previous, but I also adjusted a few spices. I also found out I need a better scale for this.

Only photo I got, got about 30 links. 8lb batch. Will update when I cook, but I've got more sausage to make

Attachments

• 20240511_175332.jpg
    20240511_175332.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2
Looks great Kieth.
I would also encourage you to convert your meat weight to Kg. Multiply the meat weight in pounds by 454 this will give you grams. 1000 grams is 1Kg. (2.2 pounds) it’s scale of 10’s, like counting money. Much easier to run it all that way.

Spices are all to your preference on taste, but generally using 1-3 grams per Kg is the rule for most spices. Garlic can go as high as 5g per Kg and spices like mace or nutmeg can be as low as .5g/Kg again all to your taste, but once you dial it in you will be able to make that same sausage over and again and always the exact same flavor.

Alight. I made this again and writing down what I used recipe wise. Attempting to convert tbsp to grams was difficult but it's a start.

Per 1LB of Venison 70/30 grind

Salt 5.5G
Black Pepper 1.2G
Fennel Seed 1.2G
Minced Garlic 2.5G
Crushed Red Pepper 1G
Anise 0.25G
Caraway 0.25G
Coriander 0.25G
Oregano 0.2G
MSG 0.7G
Chilled Red Wine 12ml

This was very difficult to convert and maybe it's not 100% exact to my previous, but I also adjusted a few spices. I also found out I need a better scale for this.

Only photo I got, got about 30 links. 8lb batch. Will update when I cook, but I've got more sausage to make
Lookin good! Yeah if seasonings are going to be less than a gram you will need a better scale for those low amounts. I see you are using wild game meat, if you happen to handload and use a digital scale for it, then that will easily work for measuring out amounts 1gm or less in weight :D

Let us know how it comes out! :D

Thanks for the tips yall. Any recommendations on an accurate scale? The 2 I've bought seem to have the same issue with being fairly accurate in low amounts .

For quantities less than a gram, you want a jeweler's scale. 100grams accurate down to 0.01grams....can buy one for $10-15 bucks. I recommend to go ahead and buy the 100 gram calibration weight as well... can get both for less than $20 usually.

Will update when I cook,
I'll be interested in that .
convert tbsp to grams was difficult but it's a start.
No need to unless that's how you want to do it . Get your texture figured out . From there the rest is just what you like . Tbls or grams doesn't matter as long as you know what you want .

Do whatever gives you the results you want , and what makes it easy .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky