Sausage fat content

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
What is the range you would say sausage has to be for fat content? I am trying to find more ways to use my deer meat up besides bologna and crock pot meats. It might be tender but it is just no substitute for beef on the grill or as a steak.

I made some Rueben dogs and Thuringer this weekend and the Rueben dogs where cakey and the the Thuringer was better, but drier. Both might need a bit of recipe rweeking, but I need to work on Fat content. I built a, excel chart to compare pounds of meat vs. its fat content to tell total fat content for Deer, to pork butt and pork fat.

So what range do I start at? The 14% I use for summer sausage is too low.

I did 20 pounds of venison to 5 pounds of pork for the summer sausage I made a month or so ago. Came out great!

Scott

What is the range you would say sausage has to be for fat content? I am trying to find more ways to use my deer meat up besides bologna and crock pot meats. It might be tender but it is just no substitute for beef on the grill or as a steak.

I made some Rueben dogs and Thuringer this weekend and the Rueben dogs where cakey and the the Thuringer was better, but drier. Both might need a bit of recipe rweeking, but I need to work on Fat content. I built a, excel chart to compare pounds of meat vs. its fat content to tell total fat content for Deer, to pork butt and pork fat.

When I first started making sausage it was trial and error and I tried 35% fat. I eventually fat. Was a little greasy but ever dry.

I did 20 pounds of venison to 5 pounds of pork for the summer sausage I made a month or so ago. Came out great!

Scott
I ran yours in my form and 20# lean deer and 5 pound pork butt at 30% comes out to only 6% fat. 5# of pork FAT would make it 20% fat content. did you mean 5# of pork fat? Also summer sausage is drier I want grilling sausages.

When I first started making sausage it was trial and error and I tried 35% fat. I eventually fat. Was a little greasy but ever dry.

20% - 30%??

I ran yours in my form and 20# lean deer and 5 pound pork butt at 30% comes out to only 6% fat. 5# of pork FAT would make it 20% fat content. did you mean 5# of pork fat? Also summer sausage is drier I want grilling sausages.

20% - 30%??
I am having problems with my iPad. I use 50% fat in my sausage

I tend to shoot for about 80-20 lean to fat.That gives enough fat for moisture but not overly greasy. There are a lot of folks that lean more toward 75-25 and have gotten great results. Some of it will be dependent on your tastes though. Play with a couple different ratios starting with these (small batches to begin with), keep good notes, and you'll figure out what you like pretty quickly.

I used to try and keep my fat low but no more. 50/50 is my typical venison/pork mix and it turns out moist and tasty sausage every time.

been making sausage for years, if you are making a sausage that only contains pork I use a nicely fatted pork shoulder and that has enough fat to make 20% and is ample but if I am making a venison sausage which is very lean I am looking to add back fat at 20%.Finding good fat is getting harder to find. The big box stores want to charge high prices for good usable fat. Better off finding a good local butcher and becoming his freind For fresh sausage I would maintain min. 20% and adjust from there.Important to keep meat cold as possible to avoid fat smearing which may cause a loss of appearance and taste also If you are smoking your sausage at too high a temp you will get fat out causing your sausage to be drier and grainy.Hope this helps

Last edited:
When it comes to deer and sausages such as brats I use the same equation only in reverse 20% deer to 80%pork

Well my excel formulas tell be 5# of deer + 3 pounds of prok butt + 2 pound of pork fat maybe what I try next.
Sausage Fat content.JPG

I use excel at work a lot and it can figure out anything.

Most of my sausage is made with venison from what I kill each year. That and wild pork (very lean as well).
I have superb success and spot on consistency going 80% meat and 20% trimmed pork back fat.
I use pork fat not pork meat or cuts, straight up backfat I buy from the butcher.

The ratio is perfect and the math is simple:

-5 pounds of sausage = 4 pounds meat, 1 pound fat
-10 pounds of sausage - 8 pounds meat, 2 pounds fat
-Make increments of 5 from therer (15, 20, 25, etc.).

This works for both fresh sausage and cured smoked sausage.
This works for venison and wild pork.
This works for store bought pork (98% lean sirloin roasts) as well.

I promise you will get perfect sausage that you can consistently repeat.

... Now to answer your original question. I have read that fat ratios for sausage are normally 15%-30% unless you make a special type of sausage that may call for more or less fat, like how Mexican Chorizo is super fatty.

Best of luck!

[EDIT: more info]
I also save my beef brisket fat and go 80/20 meat to brisket fat when I make my ground Venison Pastram Loaves for slicing into pastrami sandwich meat. It is a perfect ratio and the meat is to die for!!!

20% minimum or technically you are not making sausage, you have meat loaf. On the upper end, 50% fat. USDA regulations limit the fat to 50%, which is what most all store bought sausages are mixed to. Me personally, I like 25~30% fat with most all game sausages.

Rob,

I used pork butt not straight pork fat. But yeah you’ll want more in brat style sausage compared to summer sausage.

Good luck,
Scott

I did a summer sausage the other day, and as recommended by another person on this forum(and by the way...thank you)....as he said...." I like my wild game..."wild game''....not substituted by pork!....which is why we are doing venison, not pork sausage!.......he suggested 80/20( 80 venison/20 fat back)....turned out great! Now, not everyone has the same pallet, so I would suggest trying a small batch, see what you think, and if need be, change it up.....70/30.....60/40...until YOU find something that you like...I found the 80/20 great....from a newbie that has and done recommendation from "the pro's"...cheers and good luck

Forgive me guys when I previously said 50%fat I really meant 50%ground pork I used pork shoulders which I deboned ground and then mixed in with the venison so I am not positive of the actual percentage it was good. I am at the age where I tend to forget a few things.

I did a summer sausage the other day, and as recommended by another person on this forum(and by the way...thank you)....as he said...." I like my wild game..."wild game''....not substituted by pork!....which is why we are doing venison, not pork sausage!.......he suggested 80/20( 80 venison/20 fat back)....turned out great! Now, not everyone has the same pallet, so I would suggest trying a small batch, see what you think, and if need be, change it up.....70/30.....60/40...until YOU find something that you like...I found the 80/20 great....from a newbie that has and done recommendation from "the pro's"...cheers and good luck

Glad it turned out well. It sounds like that guy gives amazing advice ;):p:D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky