Sausage fat content

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Forgive me guys when I previously said 50%fat I really meant 50%ground pork I used pork shoulders which I deboned ground and then mixed in with the venison so I am not positive of the actual percentage it was good. I am at the age where I tend to forget a few things.

Untrimmed pork butt is usually assumed to be around 30%, so if you mixed it with 50% lean meat, then the sausage was around 15%, which is on the low end. I like to go 25-30% fat.

it really depends on your tastes. I personally dont like most commercial sausage products as they are just too fatty. I typically go about 50/50~ 40/60 venison to ground pork (butts 25-30% fat, or boxed trim, i think the boxed trim is slightly fattier 30-35%). On products that I want a little less fatty, like summer sausage, snack sticks, etc I will substitute ground beef (usually 85-90% lean) for some of the ground pork, typically about 20% of my meat content.

but honestly, its your sausage, experiment with small batches and find what is right for you and go with it. somebody asked me once why I dont compete in BBQ competitions and my answer was simple, I dont care what others think of my Q. My family and I like it so thats really all that matters to me. ( usually I get my most honest comments from my teenage kids, others wont say what they think, but teenage kids... brutal honesty)

best of luck!

Reactions: archeryrob
I am trying the rueben dogs again and Thuringer sausage. Last time they have 14% with beef and they were just to dry. This time they will be 29% with pork butt and fat added. They seemed kind of bland and I read somewhere without enough fat your spices can't be tasted as well. So I guess we shall see shortly into next week.

Also got a deer heart and liver, going to try Liverworst with those two, ground deer and pig fat and should be about 14% and ground small several times.

I am trying the rueben dogs again and Thuringer sausage. Last time they have 14% with beef and they were just to dry. This time they will be 29% with pork butt and fat added. They seemed kind of bland and I read somewhere without enough fat your spices can't be tasted as well. So I guess we shall see shortly into next week.

Also got a deer heart and liver, going to try Liverworst with those two, ground deer and pig fat and should be about 14% and ground small several times.
Feel free to fry up a test patty before stuffing. That will let you know if the meat is too bland or not. Also don't expect the patty to taste 100% like what the finished product will be, but if it taste good in patty format it should taste good once linked, smoked, cooked, etc. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky