Sauerkraut fermentation time ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Everyone has different taste buds but I would like to hear the opinions from fellow sauerkraut enthusiast's as to how long they ferment their homemade sauerkraut.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
I add 4% kosher salt and ferment 6 weeks in about 60-65F.... I think 2% is OK...

I do a 2% for at least 3 weeks but no longer than 4-1/2 weeks. I tried a 6 and 8 week fermentation and thought it was too strong. I unload from 1/2 gallon Ball jars and pack into pints and quarts then vacuum the lids down
1349.jpg
with my machine and into the fridge they go.

The temp you ferment at will affect it. I make it in the cooler months so the temp is about 68F and I let it go about 6-8 weeks. I don't can it, just make sure the kraut is under the surface level, put a plastic lid on it and put it in the fridge. It will keep for months in the fridge once it is fermented.

Reactions: poacherjoe
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky