Sauerbraten recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Been quite a while since I made Sauerbraten. I always used Bobby Flay recipe in the past. Was wanting to try new one. Anyone have one? Might put a light smoke on it? This is the one I have used for years. Guess its his wife's.

Been quite a while since I made Sauerbraten. I always used Bobby Flay recipe in the past. Was wanting to try new one. Anyone have one? Might put a light smoke on it? This is the one I have used for years. Guess its his wife's.

Here you go Brian. Here are 4 "classical" pot roast/beef recipes & 1 substituting lamb for beef. I like the idea of smoking the meat prior to making the Sauerbraten since it adds another layer of flavor. If you want "traditional German" use Beech as your smoke. Nice and mild with a hint of smoke flavor. Keep us posted. 🍻

John

Attachments

• German Pot Roast with Cabbage - Sweet and Savory Meals.pdf
    150.5 KB · Views: 22
  • German Sauerbraten (Pot Roast) - The View from Great Island.pdf
    540.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Lamb Sauerbraten _ Recipes _ Nestlé Professional.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Lüchow’s Sauerbraten Recipe - Food.com.pdf
    160.6 KB · Views: 13
Here you go Brian. Here are 4 "classical" pot roast/beef recipes & 1 substituting lamb for beef. I like the idea of smoking the meat prior to making the Sauerbraten since it adds another layer of flavor. If you want "traditional German" use Beech as your smoke. Nice and mild with a hint of smoke flavor. Keep us posted. 🍻

John
That 2nd one looks like it would work. After looking back at the Flay recipe that not the one I used it was Alton Browns. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Wurstmeister
Anytime. Let me/us know how it works outs. Every family has a twist on their version of Sauerbraten and I'd really like to see what you come up with. I'm working on a Spießbraten vom Grill recipe for this weekend to share with my German resturant friend from Augsburg. Every week he asks me if I'd made it yet! LOL!!! Almost as bad as my Grandkids or Mrs. Wurtz?! LOL!!!! I'll share it with you and the Forum as it builds. 🍻

John

I just did Sauerbraten for my final cook for school, I don't have the recipe on me, but it turned super good. Didn't smoke it though, but that sounds wonderful.

John
I will be cooking this tomorrow. You have any special red cabbage recipes John?

I will be cooking this tomorrow. You have any special red cabbage recipes John?

Here are two recipes that should help. Rotkrautsalat is pretty straight forward in ingredients and I generally make to taste for the number of folks I'm feeding: red cabbage, apple cider vinegar, onion, sugar, S&P. I do like to add Äpfeln (apple) and some crunch from walnut/pecan pieces. Sometimes I get strange and add some feta cheese which goes nicely with it. Like any salad, it's a matter of taste and what's on hand.

The best I can say, is take the attached translated recipes and use what you like and change to your taste.

Post some pictures and let us know how it turns out! 🍻
John

BTW - an EL is a tablespoon equiv.

Attachments

• Recipe_ Rotkrautsalat (Red Cabbage Salad).pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Rotkraut-Apfel-Salat - Rezept _ GuteKueche.at.pdf
    706.5 KB · Views: 6
I love Sauerbratbraten. I trained with a great German Chef that made it in the restaurant. Unfortunately her recipe is in a book that is God knows Where, after 5 pack and moves to 3 different States.
Wurstmeister's 2nd Recipe looks very similar to what Chef made...JJ

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Bringing this thread back up, any one have thoughts on vacuum packing the meat for several days with the marinade. Then a long SV bath like 12-20 hours at 135, I would then do a quick sear to brown the outside. Not sure this is doable as the marinating process does tenderize so would the SV then be too much?

Not sure how you vacuum pack unless you have one of those good ones. Mine does not work on liquid unless you freeze it. I like to give it at least 5 days marinade. That gravy with the ginger snaps is great. I ended up kinda combining couple recipes. If I where to SV would go more like 165.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj you ever find your recipe.

Reactions: clifish
Well you could ask for a chamber sealer for Father's Day?! (Good Luck with that one?! LOL!)

I manual vac/seal my bags when I use them to marinate.
  • Make the bag ~2"-3" longer than the product, marinade on the bottom.
  • Slightly fold the bag as it starts tightening.
  • When the liquid gets about 1" from the sealing bar, switch to manual seal. Not a 100% vac, but for marinade, it's works really well for me and keeps a mess out of the fridge.
Another option is place a folded paper towel piece across the top of the bag ~1" below the seal strip to absorb the moisture. I did this when I made some beets recently. Just be careful the paper doesn't move up into the sealing area or you will have a mess!! (trust me on that one) and no seal!!!!!

Of course neither of these are foolproof and very equipment dependent. 🍻
John

Well you could ask for a chamber sealer for Father's Day?! (Good Luck with that one?! LOL!)

I manual vac/seal my bags when I use them to marinate.
  • Make the bag ~2"-3" longer than the product, marinade on the bottom.
  • Slightly fold the bag as it starts tightening.
  • When the liquid gets about 1" from the sealing bar, switch to manual seal. Not a 100% vac, but for marinade, it's works really well for me and keeps a mess out of the fridge.
Another option is place a folded paper towel piece across the top of the bag ~1" below the seal strip to absorb the moisture. I did this when I made some beets recently. Just be careful the paper doesn't move up into the sealing area or you will have a mess!! (trust me on that one) and no seal!!!!!

Of course neither of these are foolproof and very equipment dependent. 🍻
John
That is what I was thinking, switch it to manual. I don't need air tight for this one, just water tight for the SV. OK I will post up when I do this hopefully next week.

Thanks everyone

John
I used the German recipe you posted, thanks for that. I was able to get it in SV bag and vac pack yesterday...I will probably let it sit in the fridge till Friday and try a SV to 165 not sure on the time yet

I would double up on that bag or just put into ziplock bag. I had a leak couple times during cook with something like this. That no fun.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky