Saturday Porterhouse: Foiled Again Batman (Pics And Lotsa Dialog)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All's well that ends well! Meal looked good from where I am sitting!
Thanks so much sarge. Improvisation doesn't always have to be a failure...but this wasn't what I set out to do.
Wow Robert, way to turn lemons into lemonade and Tracy got the next beer...good on you!
Very much appreciate it Cliff. Tracy was unaware of all the woes except for the power going out. when that happened her beloved fountains (another horror story for another day) stopped running.
Way to improvise, adapt, and overcome Robert😃 awesome meal for a punt, looks amazing! Those Ninjas can be tricky, I’ve almost lost a toe or two when I haven’t paid attention while cleaning
Appreciate it Jed. I have the food processor and a pro blender, which I got first. Learned real fast (the hard way of course) that those cutting blades are razor sharp. I'm always super careful when cleaning them but you just can't expect to be hit by a tank while washing them :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Great story and a great meal. I laughed because I’m convinced my hearing aids have a chaos sensor in them and when I need them the most is when the dead battery signal goes off
Thanks Sven. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's hearing aids are possessed. They did start chiming a few minutes earlier but thought I'd have plenty of time to finish washing the Ninja. Also, it's VERY rare that both batteries die at the same time. Usually one keeps working a bit longer but n not this time.
Good story Robert :emoji_sunglasses: way to handle a curve ball
Thanks so much for the kind words David. It was an episode, that's for sure. All came out well in the end though which is the important thing.
Whoa, back up in the bright lights, well deserved and a fine piece of work Robert!
Very much appreciate it my friend. Didn't see that coming with a botched dinner but am still honored.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Beautiful plate Robert! Like!
Thanks so much my friend!! Now go catch some fish and shrimp....and I'll send you my address :emoji_laughing:
Another killer steak dinner! Love it!
Very much appreciate it Dave. Not to bad for a botched effort.
Looks good Robert but I'm sorry I was laughing reading your story I dont know why but I was thinking that would be something you would see in a john candy movie, I'm still chuckling to myself here but I hope everything is all right.
No need to apologize for laughing Jim. I wrote it in a way to make you laugh...or at least crack a smile. The humor was intended. Yes sir, all is well. Bleeding stopped, dog calmed down (amazing what a huge bone will do), and Tracy's thirst was quenched.

Robert

Hell of a Sunday! Glad you got her done. Everything looks great.
It was actually Saturday but thank you for the kind words.
Looks Perfect from here, Robert!!
Nice Job!
Very much appreciate it my friend and thanks for the like.
If all that happened to me, my teeth would have fallen out.
OH NO!! That would be a travesty!! Dem tooths is your trademark. I have my pool and margaritas,, somebody has a beer pole, somebody else has a beer pedestal, and you got got dem tooths :emoji_laughing: Thank you for the kind words though Justin. I appreciate it.

Robert

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Wow Robert what an effort! With limited tools you nailed it for sure! Everything looks amazing!
Thanks so much John. Limited or otherwise, I'm just glad I have them for situations like this :emoji_wink:
Sorry for the boo-boo Robert! Meal looks splendid as usual!
Thanks Steve....at least I still have all my toes :emoji_laughing:

Robert

So here I am...bleeding like a stuck pig, tending to a berserk dog, deaf as a fence post, and a thirsty wife in the pool wanting a beer. Are we having fun yet?
If we ain't having fun by now, don't know if I could stand anything else..:emoji_laughing:
Looks as though the backup plan worked well, Robert. Very nice, your punt turned into a touch down...

First sorry for your loss of a special person to share a special meal with. That steak doesn’t have a single part that looks overdone to me. Pure steak mastery. I’d love that steak AND salad.

Looks Perfect from here, Robert!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Now I've finally had time to read & look closer at this Awesome Post.
Great recovery from all the opposing forces, beginning with the loss of power.
The steak & taters look mighty tasty!!
Question----What do you use to slice your own steaks from a "Bone-in Roast"??

BTW: None of your pics look dark to me, however I get some dark pics now & then, and I have a well-lit kitchen. I've found that My pics come out brighter, if I step back & zoom in with the camera, to get the shadow from my head off of the object in the picture.

Bear

If we ain't having fun by now, don't know if I could stand anything else..:emoji_laughing:
Looks as though the backup plan worked well, Robert. Very nice, your punt turned into a touch down...
Very much appreciate the kind words Charles. Sometimes I think all the cookers outside are overkill but at times like this, it sure was nice to have a back-up. After the smoke cleared we laughed about the whole ordeal over dinner.
First sorry for your loss of a special person to share a special meal with. That steak doesn’t have a single part that looks overdone to me. Pure steak mastery. I’d love that steak AND salad.
Thanks so much my friend. The person who we lost impacted many people, including folks in this forum. He was a highly respected member and a staff member. The roast was for his family Christmas dinner.

Appreciate the kind words about the steak but it got away from me by just a bit...and I agree. Hard to beat a good steeak AND a salad :emoji_wink:
Question----What do you use to slice your own steaks from a "Bone-in Roast"??
Thanks so much Bear for going back and reading of my debacle :emoji_laughing: Was a bit of a handful there for a while. Insofar as your question, that depends on what type of roast it is. For the 103 sub primal rib sections I just use my chef's knife. I can use that to remove the ribs and cut boneless rib eye steaks or if I'm cutting bone-in steaks, I just slice between the bones. For the shortloin roasts that I get for t-bones and porterhouse steaks, I have to use the knife and a sawzall. I'll mark the roast where I want to slice a steak (usually about 1 1/2") and cut the meat as much as I can with the knife then use the sawzall to cut through the bone.

Robert

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks great from here. I would not call that anything but skillfully excellence. Well done, and that looks delicious.

A "true" Porterhouse steak is not just a T-bone with a large portion of tenderloin.

A Porterhouse Steak comes from the end of the short-loin closest to the sirloin. On a good short-loin there are maybe 3 or 4 2" Porterhouse Steaks. The farther from the sirloin, the less tender the strip side of the steak. A Porterhouse steak is also cut at a slight angle from the T-bones.

Things have changed over time and commodity beef packers do what they do to make more money, and now they call anything with a large tenderloin side, a Porterhouse, and they do not rotate the short-loin for the proper Porterhouse cut, they set their meat saw and whatever thickness they want, and cut the entire short-loin, and that is why the center bone in a Porterhouse steak sometimes looks odd like it was cut at an improper angle. Yours does look like it was cut correctly!

The problem today is, unless a person cuts the Porterhouse him or herself, it is impossible to know precisely what you are getting.

A true dry-aged Porterhouse Steak is the best steak there is, in my very humble opinion - but - we live in a Walmart world anymore and it is nearly impossible to find a true Porterhouse unless a person buys one from Alan Brothers, and they are seriously phenomenally proud of their steaks ($150 for a 2.25 inch Prime 48-ounce steak plus $50.00 shipping...).

Peter Luger was my favorite steak house when I was a youngster back east and I was a bit silly with my money, but man the steaks were good. Even Peter Luger has slipped since it was sold to new owners. Still great steaks but like everything in America - not what it used to be...

Nevertheless, your steak looks great! I wish it came out better for you.

Did you cut the Porterhouse from the sirloin end of the short-loin?

Last edited:
The problem today is, unless a person cuts the Porterhouse him or herself, it is impossible to know precisely what you are getting.
Thanks so much for the info. I do in fact get all my beef shipped to me as whole primals and cut them myself into steaks and roasts. The short loin roasts typically come in the range of 25 pounds. I'm not a butcher, just go by what I've learned from some butchers I've come to trust. Breaking down a roast I can handle. Breaking down an entire cow is a whole different story and well beyond my knowledge. Your input is appreciated. Here is one I recently got:
005.jpg

006.jpg

Misc 1 002.jpg

Misc 1 003.jpg

Kinda rough but all I have to work with is a Sawzall and some really good knives.

Robert.

• Haha
Reactions: Retired Spook
They look great but, a Sawzall? :emoji_laughing: I never even thought of that but sounds like it could work!

I'm curious if the short-loin roast is, in fact, an entire short-loin?

I do not see a short-loin roast on their website. I wonder if it is a seasonal cut or maybe they are just out of stock? Interestingly enough, I do not see Porterhouse Steaks on their site either?

Am I looking at the right website? https://www.piedmontese.com/

It's the only thing I have that will cut though the bones. I don't do enough of these to justify buying a meat saw so just make do with what I have...which is about 6 different Sawzalls :emoji_laughing:

Robert
I admire your improvisation! :emoji_thumbsup:

They look great but, a Sawzall? :emoji_laughing: I never even thought of that but sounds like it could work!

I'm curious if the short-loin roast is, in fact, an entire short-loin?
Works awesome on both deer and pigs too! It's what I use....a sawzall with a 12" blade will cut right down the back bone no sweat and give you two sides on the rail.

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky