Sapressata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slipaway

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 28, 2014
Needham Mass.
A friend asked me how to smoke Sopressata. He claims that his dad would smoke it (not cook it) then freeze it and it would harden up in the freezer. He says he is from Calibrese Italy and they are the only ones who smoke their Sopressata. I can't help him since I don't cold smoke, but he is looking for any help with time, temp, etc. since he never wrote down what his father had taught him.
I told him I would post this question and see if anyone can help. He does not need the sausage ingredients - only the process.
Thanx

Not how i make Sopp, however you can make how you like.

Few members on here do some nice dry cure. They have dedicated equipment for the process. (been there done that) I'm old and not into lots of baby sitting with it.

I go UMAi and get just as good if not better results. I can adapt any recipe to the UMAi bags.

My Sopp i have going now. This is finishing in my household frost free fridge. Has about 30 days to go yet.

If you want it smoky you can add smoked paprika, smoke powder to the mix or cold smoke after the process of drying it has ended.

20220410_132450.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The process of smoking fermented sausages, if done, is treated as part of the drying process. So some strict parameters must be followed. Humidity between 70-80%, temperature between 50-71*F. This keeps in with the drying parameters so cold smoke is the only option. If done after the fermentation process, the smoke will inhibit any good bacteria growth like penicillium. If done later in the drying process, no mold should be present. Cold smoking can be done easily in something as simple as a cardboard box with a pellet tube or tray. Smoking is not a necessary step, but if done should be treated as part of the drying process not as a separate step.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky