Salt question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When you first cut back on sodium it's noticeable because of what you have been accustomed to but is manageable, speaking from experience. I am now down to 1/2 teaspoon of Morton kosher salt per pound when making sausage. Morton kosher salt is less sodium than table salt, about 480mg per 1/4 teaspoon. I have seen many post by some of the more experienced on the forum mention that some salt is needed in slow smoking, I think they mentioned it aids in preventing bacteria. Hope I remembered that correctly. Glad your wife is doing well.
Thank you, Cajun.
Yes, you need something like #1 cure which is Sodium Nitrite to hinder Botulism when slow/warm smoking.

In short term sausage, #1 cure is used as flavor and not as botulism retarder. Botulism takes many months to mature and produce significant toxins.
There are other pathogens that may develop such as listeria, salmonella, and E-Coli.

I've been adding zero salt at the table for 8 years, and still had a craving for Salt.
So I tried "No Salt" a few months ago. It tastes like salt, so I've been using it on my morning Eggs & a few other things, however due to the Covid Outbreak, I haven't been able to see my Dr to ask him if the heavy amount of Potassium will affect any of my Heart, Aorta, or Kidney problems.
1/4 teaspoon of "No Salt" Has:
0 Calories
0 Sodium
640 mg of Sodium ?

Bear
Mr Malaprop
I think you meant potassium.

I've been adding zero salt at the table for 8 years, and still had a craving for Salt.
So I tried "No Salt" a few months ago. It tastes like salt, so I've been using it on my morning Eggs & a few other things, however due to the Covid Outbreak, I haven't been able to see my Dr to ask him if the heavy amount of Potassium will affect any of my Heart, Aorta, or Kidney problems.
1/4 teaspoon of "No Salt" Has:
0 Calories
0 Sodium
640 mg of Sodium

Bear

Thanks, Bear. We just ordered some "No Salt". Morton's and Nu Salt also have a significant amount of Potassium. All the substitutes probably do (I'm thinking Potassium Chloride...). We'll ask about Potassium when she has her follow up with the cardiologist next Friday.
While at the hospital they gave her a McCormicks mix to use instead of salt. 0 Potassium and not too bad. We ordered some of it,too. IMG_3608.jpg

Reactions: DanMcG
In short term sausage, #1 cure is used as flavor and not as botulism retarder. Botulism takes many months to mature and produce significant toxins.
There are other pathogens that may develop such as listeria, salmonella, and E-Coli.

Mr Malaprop
I think you meant potassium.
I may be wrong about the botulism part, but I'm pretty sure #1 cure (sodium nitrite) is used for short term as in smoking sausage and bacon and #2 (sodium nitrate) is used for long term. Not sure how much flavor you get from a tsp of cure in 5# of meat, but it's moot because I don't intend to use it anymore....

Thanks, Bear. We just ordered some "No Salt". Morton's and Nu Salt also have a significant amount of Potassium. All the substitutes probably do (I'm thinking Potassium Chloride...). We'll ask about Potassium when she has her follow up with the cardiologist next Friday.
While at the hospital they gave her a McCormicks mix to use instead of salt. 0 Potassium and not too bad. We ordered some of it,too.View attachment 481616

When I was in the Hospital for 28 days, and weeks after, I was taking Lasix to eliminate Sodium in my body. The Lasix also removed Potassium, so I had to take Potassium pills to replace my Potassium.
However I don't know how much Potassium would be too much.
I wouldn't think the small amount I use from a shaker would hurt, but I will still check.

Bear

Sorry through this I forgot to say glad your wife is mending.

Lowering your total sodium in the diet is pretty easy. I've been doing it for my wife for almost 20 years.
I had to start about a year ago myself and it is hard at first to watch the hidden.

thirdeye thirdeye gave great advice. Processed food is your biggest enemy, followed by restaurant food.
Home cured meat is not your enemy unless … you do not have portion control.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Sorry through this I forgot to say glad your wife is mending.

Lowering your total sodium in the diet is pretty easy. I've been doing it for my wife for almost 20 years.
I had to start about a year ago myself and it is hard at first to watch the hidden.

thirdeye thirdeye gave great advice. Processed food is your biggest enemy, followed by restaurant food.
Home cured meat is not your enemy unless … you do not have portion control.
Thank you and no worries.
She's a little skittish, understandably, and almost everything in our covid induced well stocked pantry is on the generic hospital "avoid" list. It's been an education seeing that sodium is in almost everything (even chocolate pudding and yogurt for gosh sake!).
We'll know more after talking with the cardiologist this week. We have started a list of questions.....
We made meat loaf a couple of days ago with only salt substitute and it was good. She's trying her spaghetti sauce today using "lower sodium" sauce and paste and salt substitute. I tasted and it's still good :-)

Thank you and no worries.
She's a little skittish, understandably, and almost everything in our covid induced well stocked pantry is on the generic hospital "avoid" list. It's been an education seeing that sodium is in almost everything (even chocolate pudding and yogurt for gosh sake!).
We'll know more after talking with the cardiologist this week. We have started a list of questions.....
We made meat loaf a couple of days ago with only salt substitute and it was good. She's trying her spaghetti sauce today using "lower sodium" sauce and paste and salt substitute. I tasted and it's still good :-)

That all sounds too familiar!!
I used to write questions down for a week, before my Cardiologist Appt.
Then Mrs Bear would come along, because of my CRS. I have a Great "Long-term" Memory, but a lousy Short-term one.

Bear

I was trying to remember the link to the best (IMHO) low and no sodium website last night.
(Traveling and on the laptop instead of my desktop so no handy bookmark.)
Give me 24 hours to shake the CRS and it hit me this morning while taking a leisure stroll on the seashore.
MegaHeart.com

Good luck.
Here's another kicker. Heart healthy also means avoiding added sugars.
Yeah, we have to give up all the comfort foods, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky