Salsa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
A friend gave us a few Jalapeños that have a good heat. Decided to make some smoked salsa. I fired up little Jake with red oak and when ready I smoked the tomatoes, halved unions, two cloves of garlic and the peppers.
IMG_4822.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

Once the onions were soft I pulled everything. The garlic too a bit longer to soften but only by 10 minutes or so.
IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

Added two peppers, garlic and onions to the vitamix and pulsed them a bit. Added 9 tomatoes and did the same. Finally added the cilantro along with some seasoning. Pulsed it until it mixed well. Man this stuff is good. Probably could be better with 7 tomatoes. Made some burger patties since little Jake was running.
IMG_4839.jpeg

IMG_4837.jpeg

Very nice lunch!
Made the smoked salsa once, need to do it again.
Thanks. We like it. I wish I could grow peppers with heat to them.

A friend gave us a few Jalapeños that have a good heat. Decided to make some smoked salsa. I fired up little Jake with red oak and when ready I smoked the tomatoes, halved unions, two cloves of garlic and the peppers.
View attachment 675455
View attachment 675456
View attachment 675458

Once the onions were soft I pulled everything. The garlic too a bit longer to soften but only by 10 minutes or so. View attachment 675459
View attachment 675457

Added two peppers, garlic and onions to the vitamix and pulsed them a bit. Added 9 tomatoes and did the same. Finally added the cilantro along with some seasoning. Pulsed it until it mixed well. Man this stuff is good. Probably could be better with 7 tomatoes. Made some burger patties since little Jake was running.
View attachment 675460
View attachment 675461
That looks fantastic!

I did something similar on the grill over the past 2 weeks with all my hatch chilis and some tomatillos.

To avoid getting a lot of "water" and separation I split my tomatillos in half when I grilled them and let them lose a lot of the water while on the grill and while sitting on a plate before blendering.

My new Vitamix did a heck of a job turning it into a sauce. I'm working on sauces at the moment versus salsas and having a ton of fun. So I'm right there tinkering with you buddy. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to the next batch you make :D

That looks fantastic!

I did something similar on the grill over the past 2 weeks with all my hatch chilis and some tomatillos.

To avoid getting a lot of "water" and separation I split my tomatillos in half when I grilled them and let them lose a lot of the water while on the grill and while sitting on a plate before blendering.

My new Vitamix did a heck of a job turning it into a sauce. I'm working on sauces at the moment versus salsas and having a ton of fun. So I'm right there tinkering with you buddy. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to the next batch you make :D
Thank you. I’m going to have to make some more will soon. The vitamix is handy.

Reactions: tallbm
Man that looks real good. If I fire up the Lang in the next week or so I'll have to do this too. I have all the stuff needed.

Reactions: flatbroke
Man that looks real good. If I fire up the Lang in the next week or so I'll have to do this too. I have all the stuff needed.
Outstanding. You definitely have the hot peppers. Make extra cause it’s addicting

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky