Salmon filets and tails

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Last fishing trip cause me to run out of smoked Salmon tails and filet, which I love to share while we're out on the water. So dedicated yesterday by waking up at midnight to start brining which
ran for 7+ hours. Brined until 8am at which point I removed from the dry brine and rinsed.

Drying on the racks for a couple hours, to form pellicle:
IMG_1547.JPG

In my favorite smoker - Modified MES40
IMG_1549.JPG

Back in the kitchen after a 4.5 hour smoke using alder and then apple pellets, running starting at 125* then bumped to 130* then 145*
IMG_1554.JPG

Consolidating the number of racks on the kitchen table, so I can start washing the racks while the fish cools down.
IMG_1556.JPG

Into the tupperware for an over night storage. Will vacuum up whatever I don't immediately eat or give away.
IMG_1557.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, now we're talking. I'm serious when it comes to smoking Salmon, steelhead and local trout, and your's looks very good from here. :emoji_thumbsup: On a new topic, is there a thread where you detail the mods to your Masterbuilt? I have two friends I'd like to share that info with.

Not sure if you are a home canner, but a slight change of pace is to can lightly smoked salmon. And, the thin strip of belly which I normally remove before dry curing is perfect to use because of it's higher fat, I put some in each jar. Where I would normally smoke salmon for ~4 hours, for canning it's best to start with 1.5 hours (then adjust later) as processing will intensify the smokiness. I use the 1/2 pint jars, add seasoning, olive oil, and a jalapeno ring or some onion. Being shelf stable it has many uses.... or just ready to eat anytime.
43wic0k.jpg
JsFqRc3.jpg

Reactions: Inscrutable
You know salmon is a big favorite around here & you are so lucky to have all the fish you can eat available to you. Need a mate, I’d work for fish!
Al

Oh, now we're talking. I'm serious when it comes to smoking Salmon, steelhead and local trout, and your's looks very good from here. :emoji_thumbsup: On a new topic, is there a thread where you detail the mods to your Masterbuilt? I have two friends I'd like to share that info with.

Not sure if you are a home canner, but a slight change of pace is to can lightly smoked salmon. And, the thin strip of belly which I normally remove before dry curing is perfect to use because of it's higher fat, I put some in each jar. Where I would normally smoke salmon for ~4 hours, for canning it's best to start with 1.5 hours (then adjust later) as processing will intensify the smokiness. I use the 1/2 pint jars, add seasoning, olive oil, and a jalapeno ring or some onion. Being shelf stable it has many uses.... or just ready to eat anytime.
Interesting idea ... never thought to do that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky