Salmon, Butts & Wings (Qview Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well I was long over due for a batch of salmon. My mother in law has been trying to get me to do a batch for a month or so and I finally found the time. My brother came to town so we smoked up 8 fillets of salmon, 2 butts and some wings for lunch.
I brined the salmon over night with a brown sugar/salt mix then rinsed and added some brown sugar, garlic powder and pepper.

Ready to head to the smoker.
9ddf72cf_DSC00444.jpg

On the smoker.

cc9532c3_DSC00446.jpg

All done and ready to vacuum seal.

661783cd_DSC00442-2.jpg

I didn't have any of my rub on hand so I used Bad Byrons Butt rub on the one and Bone Sucking Sauce rub on the other. I wasn't impressed with the bone sucking sauce rub at all. No flavor! We injected the butts with Cherry Dr. Pepper the night before.

The two butts.

070c12b8_DSC00437.jpg

In the UDS for a smoke bath.

d99a4aac_DSC00450.jpg

Foiled at 165 with a little splash of apple juice in the foil.

6e4c9cb9_DSC00452.jpg

Pulled it at 205 and rested in the cooler for an hour. This butt pulled like a dream. The bone slid right out.

34a39ad4_DSC00445.jpg

Added a little finishing sauce then off to the walking in freezer (aka my garage)

f0361895_DSC00448-1.jpg

We threw some wings on to eat for supper. Rubbed them with McCormic wing seasoning and cover half of them with a local wing joints Diablo wing sauce and the other half with Cattlemans Gold sauce.

About to head to the smoker.

11d46336_DSC00453.jpg

All done and ready to eat.

5e902aa3_DSC00443-1.jpg

It was a beautiful day of smoking here in ND. No wind and -3 degrees when the butts went on in the morning. Here are a few pics of my yard/smoker after the two blizzards we had last week.

3cd4cf3f_DSC00447.jpg

The smoke shack filled with salmon. we had a little shoveling to do before we could get to the smoker.

b50be804_DSC00448.jpg

d058cb58_DSC00449.jpg

Thanks for checking out our smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: meateater
Great looking smoke my friend. That white ground cover is way too much work for me.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I 'll keep my green grass thank you

Hi,

Looks great, wish I could do some smoking.       I dont think my MES 30 will do the job in this weather, so I'll just dream of your food for now.     Just keep me dreamingJ

Awesome looking chow there RB !!!!

I knew when your brother came to town, there would be some great food for us to see!!!

Thanks,

Bear 

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man there Rbrans that some good looking food you have there. That seams like an awful lot of work just to use your smoker. But the work was worth it I'm sure just looking at the Q. You done good there son.

that is way too much snow for me

i think this shot is you and your brother after the smoke in the hottub?

621d38ce_redneck_hot_tub_2.jpg

That is some fine smoking RB. All of it, your salmon is outstanding!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  Palm trees in the midst to boot! Keep warm and enjoy the weather.

Nice looking grub 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 I like the racks you used for some of the salmon. Great way to add more space to the smoker having them stacked up like that. I need to get some of those. Man, you got some snow there! I miss getting snow like that....we're supposed to get an inch today.....weak! HAHA

Nice looking grub 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 I like the racks you used for some of the salmon. Great way to add more space to the smoker having them stacked up like that. I need to get some of those. Man, you got some snow there! I miss getting snow like that....we're supposed to get an inch today.....weak! HAHA

Those stacked racks are cheap at Walmart. Like $10 for a package of 3 racks and you can stack them on top of each other. I think they were actually baking cooling racks but they work great for the smoker. I am going to be getting some more then I won't have to dirty so many cookie sheets when prepping the meat.

Last edited:
I am drooling, that salmon looks to good.  Now I'm curious how much salt to water do you brine  you Salmon.  Last time i used some lemon, and it was way to much. Nice job man that is some good q.

Last edited:
The food looks GREAT, The Snow, Not so Great...

that is way too much snow for me

i think this shot is you and your brother after the smoke in the hottub?

621d38ce_redneck_hot_tub_2.jpg
Rick all this picture needs is a Witchdoctor with a bone through his nose to be stirring the pot with a great big spoon...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky