Salccicia Napolitana Dolce (Sweet Naples Salami)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
This salami is one of the few Italian salamis that is cold smoked. It is one of the the salami that inspired American pepperoni. Traditionally made using beef rounds casing, the salami is in loops. No trussing other than a few loops to help hold the hanging string. This salami is dried to about 40%.

After Trimming and cutting the lean and fat, I checked the pH of the meat. I assumed it would be around pH5.7 but it came in at pH5.92. I used this to calculate the amount of dextrose I need.
IMG_20210112_130740.jpg

IMG_20210112_134617.jpg

Lean through 6mm plate
IMG_20210112_143318.jpg

Seasonings and wine..
IMG_20210111_184827.jpg

IMG_20210111_182428.jpg

Salt, cure#2, Seasonings, wine, and starter culture mixed in with the lean for protein extraction...
IMG_20210112_144117.jpg

Fat mixed in..
IMG_20210112_145501.jpg

Stuffed and in the fermentation can..
IMG_20210112_172523.jpg

Last edited:
I made the sample piece into a ball the same diameter as the casing so the center will warm up the same as the salami. Should not get a false reading this time...

Salccicia Napolitana Dolce

Lean Pork 760g.
Back Fat 240g.

Sea Salt 25g.
Cure #2 3g. (might could use #1 but I did use 42mm hog casings)
Whole Black peppercorns 2g.
Ground Black pepper 1g.
Garlic Powder 1g.
Hot Calabrian Pepperocino powder 2g.
Sweet Calabrain Pepperocino powder 8g.
Red Wine 20mL

Dextrose 2g.

2g. Flavor of Italy starter Culture in 60mL distilled water

Stuff in 38-42mm hog casing or beef rounds. Dry to 40% weight loss @ 54-57*F; 80-83% RH%.

Cold smoke with oak dust for 2 nights, 12 hours each night; smokehouse below 71*F

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
So, figuring out the fermentable sugar component with the seasonings has been fun. With the initial [email protected], and the target pH between 5.1 and 5.2, I needed about 0.8% equivalent of dextrose. The pepper powders contribute 2.875g dextrose equivalent to the mince. The wine will contribute some as well... still need to work out some figures for fermentable sugars in red wine.

The peppers also contribute 3.375g of sucrose, which can be broken down slowly by the culture bacteria, though not as easily as the simple sugars.

So I added 0.2% dextrose (or 2g./kg.), which should put me right at pH5.35ish....and the sucrose should push it down slowly from there. Fingers crossed.....but I think it'll work. The math is right....but this is where the art part of making salami comes in....hitting the sweet spot of pH5.1-5.2 and not overshooting below 5. I have the temperature in the ferment can between 70-71*F right now. Hoping to let the flavor bacteria go to work for a little while before the acid drops and slows them down.

Edit to add:
The wine will also drop the pH slightly being that it is acidic. I should have measured the pH after adding in the wine to the lean grind....

Last edited:
Checked the pH just now and at 25 hours fermentation @71.5-72*F, pH 5.35...now for the slow crawl down as the bacteria consume the sucrose...
IMG_20210113_150820.jpg

Checked the pH again @ 8pm, down to 5.27 so I moved the salamis to the smokehouse to cold smoke overnight. Temps. down to 32*F tonight. I did a preheat to warm the walls up to 90*F, then boiled some water for the water pan. I packed my Amazen oval tube with some of Dave's pellet dust (hickory and oak) and lit it and let it burn down. Then put the tube in the smokehouse under the water pan. Temps. running 63~65*F. Will let them go all night, then in the drying chamber in the am. Will smoke another round of cold smoke tomorrow night.

Sounds great. What do you and the family eat besides Salumi?!?☺ Ive been in Italian Delis that don't carry the volume or assortment of product you do!..JJ

Chef jj...the salami will keep for a year after drying...just peel off the casings and vac pack, place in fridge. Also, equalization occurs which rehydrates the typically drier outer edge. And, flavor profile continues to improve.

Last edited:
Round 2 of cold smoke with oak and hickory complete...
IMG_20210115_075827.jpg

Now to dry in the chamber for a few weeks. So looking forward to sampling these.

Looking great.

Warren
Thanks Warren. After cold for 2 nights smoking, I hung them in the kitchen for about an hour to air out a little and warm up to chamber temp. to avoid condensation. Then hung them in the chamber to continue drying. They are right at 9% over 4 days so 2.5 weeks they should be ready. Smell fantastic right now! The whole house smells awesome when I open the chamber door for air exchange.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky