Salamis at 35% weight loss after just 3.5 weeks. What to do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BjornEK

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Molde, Norway
This time my Salamis will be at my 35% weight loss after just 3.5 weeks. 30% now. They are a deer/pork mix. Stuffed in 2 inch umai skins. I used texel sp318 starterculture. I tried to split one. Not dry on the outside, no airpockets at the inside.
My theory is that the taste development are not finished that soon, so what to do?
Vacuum seal and store cold, or vacuum seal and store at room temperature to develop taste?
Suggestions are most welcome!

Umai bags I go to 40 % . Otherwise it's to wet on the inside for me .
Thank you! That would buy me some extra time for maturing. This is my first time using Umai for sausage.
Did you dry the umai bagged salami in a regular refrigerator?
I have a small house in my garden for my food related hobbies. I dry them there. It's winter time here in Norway now so no problem to get a stable 42F.

Did you dry the umai bagged salami in a regular refrigerator?
Don't over look this .
I have a small house in my garden for my food related hobbies. I dry them there. It's winter time here in Norway now so no problem to get a stable 42F.
My opinion , they need to be between 36 and 38 degrees . I keep mine at 36 . I have a therm in there with an alarm . Umai is designed to be done in a House hold fridge .
Like said above a full sized regular fridge gives the best results .
1674680377161.jpeg

This is 40 %
1674680430197.jpeg

Reactions: jcam222 and BjornEK
The humidity in your outside garden house may be too low which is why your umai salami is drying so fast. Optimal for umai is 40% humidity...which is the range for most refrigerators.
I have a humidifier in the garden house at 45%

Don't over look this .

My opinion , they need to be between 36 and 38 degrees . I keep mine at 36 . I have a therm in there with an alarm . Umai is designed to be done in a House hold fridge .
Like said above a full sized regular fridge gives the best results .
View attachment 655831
This is 40 %
View attachment 655832
Thank you. Your Salami looks great. I'll go for 40% weight loss as well, and set the temperature at 36F

How much airflow? Is there a fan running?
Also, since you have the means to do so, increasing the humidity will slow down the drying.

Slowing the airflow will slow the drying....
I have a cheap table fan about 8 feet from the sausages. I was worried that no airflow would make them moldy, but maybe it is not necessary?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky