Salame Calabrese with Cannabis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Salame Calabrese with Cannabis from "Redzed" from another forum.

A Copy and past of a interesting recipe for Salame. LOL
I have not made this but sounds interesting.

Once the salami is dried, vacuumed packed and refrigerated, it can stay for a indefinite period of time.
he has tried a number of different spice formulations when adding cannabis to salami and it seems that the Calabrese style works best. It has a burst of flavours and heat that almost totally eliminates the rather unpleasant taste of marijuana. Barely a distant hint of the odour emanates and only a trained nose will detect it. The cannabis he used was decarbed and tested for THC in a laboratory, making it possible to calculate the amount in each serving. Heat treatment (decarboxylation) of the cannabis is necessary when making edible products. Without this process there would be no psychoactive effect. He added 1.5 grams of the decarbed cannabis per kilogram of meat. THC content was 18%, so with 35% weight loss there will be 270mg of THC in 650 grams of salami. 10mg is usually enough to give most people the desired effect, so one serving of salami will be 24 grams or almost an ounce. Of course the more experienced can treat themselves a to little more. As you can see, 1.5 grams goes a long way when prepared this way. With a strong cheese like a pecorino this salami paired with a good Sangiovese is a match made in heaven.

Salame Calabrese with Cannabis

Recipe for 1kg
Meats

750g Class 1 pork, lean without connective tissue
250g hard back fat
Ingredients
22g fine sea salt
3g Cure #2
1.5g cannabis, decarbed and finely ground
2g white pepper
Calabrian pepper 3g
1g anise
1g ground fennel
2g granulated garlic
1.5g dextrose
1.5g sucrose
.5g s. erythorbate
30ml red wine
.5g Texel SA-301 starter culture
Bactoferm Mold-600
Process
1. Cube meat and fat, mix with salt, Cure#2, dextrose and refrigerate in a sealed container for 48 hours.
2. Freeze fat completely, leave the cubed and cured meat in freezer for one to two hours so that it it freezes partially.
3. Revive starter with small amount of distilled water and a pinch of dextrose. Add to meat within 20 minutes.
4. Grind everything through 6mm plate. If making a large amount grind half the meat through 10mm plate and the remainder, together with the fat through the 6mm. Do not grind fat separately.
5. Mix starter culture, spices and the cannabis with the meat. Keep ground meat cold, mix thoroughly, taking care not to over mix to avoid fat smearing. You may want to refrigerate the meat between the grinding, mixing and stuffing steps.
6. Stuff into 50-60mm protein lined casings or beef middles.
7. Ferment at a temp of 18-20C for 48-72 hours, until pH drops to 5.2. Be careful not to let the pH drop below 5 so that the salame does not taste sour. The Staphylococcus are also not effective in a high acid environment.
8. Mould starter optional, but recommended. Use approximately 3g per cup (200ml) of non chlorinated water. Allow 30 minutes before applying to the salami.
9. Hang for approximately 8 weeks at 12C and 80% RH, until a weight loss of 35% .

Yup he can be a bit of a dick head sometimes but he does know his stuff. He gets pissed when I post a Ukrainian kubasa on his Polish facebook page LOL
Lol! I bet so. But he does really know sausage and charcuterie. I don’t post over there but I read a lot. Good group.

Reactions: JLeonard
I learned a lot from Red when I first got started into making salami. Wealth of knowledge there. I did see this salami and first thing I thought of when I saw your thread title was, "Damn, wonder if he saw Red's post?" LOL!

My only critic is that there really is not a lot of traffic on the English side of that Polish forum...but the archives are incredible!

I learned a lot from Red when I first got started into making salami. Wealth of knowledge there. I did see this salami and first thing I thought of when I saw your thread title was, "Damn, wonder if he saw Red's post?" LOL!

My only critic is that there really is not a lot of traffic on the English side of that Polish forum...but the archives are incredible!
Yes, a true treasure trove.

Yup I was a member there for many many years. Back when old Chuckwagon was the only moderator. God rest his soul the poor bugger was a true rebel. LOL Being the towns sheriff and getting charged with impaired sleeping in his cruiser from the State Police and also knocking up the 17 year old dispatcher he hired and later married her was a great guy :)

Very interesting. I have never thought of making something like that with cannabis. I typically make butter and use it in chocolate truffles and caramels. I have been making cannabutter for years for a few friends that use it medically (cancer, pain, beating opiate addiction thanks to VA giving out oxycontin like tic-tacs) and it really works. I know a lot of folks on here don't live where it's legal but for those with certain medical issues it's a wonder drug.

I would love to try the salame but not really a thing I would choose to make myself. Going to stick to the candies.

Attachments

• candy box.jpg
    candy box.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: JLeonard
Yup I was a member there for many many years. Back when old Chuckwagon was the only moderator. God rest his soul the poor bugger was a true rebel. LOL Being the towns sheriff and getting charged with impaired sleeping in his cruiser from the State Police and also knocking up the 17 year old dispatcher he hired and later married her was a great guy :)

Barry Bryner, aka CW, became a good friend of mine, had lunch with him when I made a fishing trip to Flaming Gorge. I learned most of what I know about making sausage and smoking meat from Barry, he is not forgotten. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
270mg of THC in 650 grams of salami??? Holy crap. They way I eat I would be indacoucha for a week. Better for me to keep my medicine out of my food.
Bout to say, indaswamp would have to come get me outdacouch

Very interesting. I have never thought of making something like that with cannabis. I typically make butter and use it in chocolate truffles and caramels. I have been making cannabutter for years for a few friends that use it medically (cancer, pain, beating opiate addiction thanks to VA giving out oxycontin like tic-tacs) and it really works. I know a lot of folks on here don't live where it's legal but for those with certain medical issues it's a wonder drug.

I would love to try the salame but not really a thing I would choose to make myself. Going to stick to the candies.
Being a crohns pt I'd love to try some of your candies. And its medically legal here in Mississippi. But being a nurse, I cant use any of it. SO, I just suffer along. But 10 yrs and I can retire. Then its game on!

Jim

Barry Bryner, aka CW, became a good friend of mine, had lunch with him when I made a fishing trip to Flaming Gorge. I learned most of what I know about making sausage and smoking meat from Barry, he is not forgotten. RAY
Yup he did make the rounds on a lot of forums back then. Some loved him and some could not stand his long winded stories lol
His tag line on most of the forums was
"If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill."

My grandparents came from Ukraine and it was very common that they grew cannabis as a spice for cooking. Back then there was not much THC.It was used just like any other spice that we have.
On a side note there is a farm about 5 miles down the highway from me that grew cannabis in a test field about 20 years ago long before it was legal here in Canada. It was a strain with zero THC and the end product was going to be used for clothing and other fiber products. It was kind of funny watching people stopping and running into the field to steal some for a no BUZZ cannabis. LOL

Things are a tad different now in Canada, love my black berry cheese cake :emoji_wink:
20240110_132849.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
SHR, I was a member also when CW was the moderator and left when he was treated poorly,he was a good man. You were my original enabler and got me to purchase a PK100. No regrets as the machine is still going strong ! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky