Safe to eat Deer Venison Loaf at 150 degrees?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DakotaKid

Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
I smoked a venison loaf (50% deer mix w/ 50% pork). Basically put the ground meat in an aluminum cake pan and placed in the smoker over night. I wanted an internal temp of 152 degrees but I had to get to work so I pulled it out at 150 degrees. It was in the smoker from 10pm to about 7am. I did mix cure in as well. Is it safe to eat with an internal temp of 150 degrees?

I smoked a venison loaf (50% deer mix w/ 50% pork). Basically put the ground meat in an aluminum cake pan and placed in the smoker over night. I wanted an internal temp of 152 degrees but I had to get to work so I pulled it out at 150 degrees. It was in the smoker from 10pm to about 7am. I did mix cure in as well. Is it safe to eat with an internal temp of 150 degrees?
with cure yes

Sounds risky to me. Ground venison and ground pork smoking for 9hrs and only reaching 150 IT. Not sure about the cure making it safe. I could be totally wrong as I'm an American not an astronaut. Maybe someone has some solid advice

pasturation-jpg.418594
Acorrding to this chart if held at 150 ( actual meat temp) for 1.12 minutes its safe to eat.

The cure will make it safe for the long smoke. Not sure about using aluminum thou

Thanks for the info. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas. Attached are a couple of pics. I took the loaf from the alum pan and placed only the loaf in the smoker. Attached are a couple of pics of the "loaf crust" as well as a couple of the inner slices. It tastes fine but I was concerned with the IT of 150.

Attachments

• loaf.jpeg
    loaf.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 31
  • loaf2.jpeg
    loaf2.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 34
How long did you let the mix cure before smoking ? I see some spots that look un cured .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky