Safe metals for cooker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigsteve

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
South West Florida
I intend to build a home brew rotissorie for my Weber kettle. I haven't gone out and tried to find sheet metal yet to use as the extension ring. I'm curious as to which metals are safe to use in a cooker. I've been told Stainless steel is fine, and that galvanized is not. Is Aluminum safe? I assume yes, since pots and pans can be made of aluminum. What other metal might be okay?

What does it take to burn the coating off galvanized metal? My only torch is one of those that screws onto the end of a small propane bottle. Would that be adequate? Would the metal then rust without the coating?

I don't know very much at all about metals I'm afraid.

What morkdach said. No galvanized.

Trying to burn off the galvanization will produce VERY toxic fumes & the heat required would render the sheet metal useless anyway (warpage etc.).

Stick with plain old bare steel or stainless.

Yep, galvanized is not safe at all, unless the plan is to make people very, very sick and possible collect some life insurance money.

But I wouldn't recommend it!!!

LOL, no that is NOT the plan! Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna head out now and see if I can get some sheets of Titanium at Lowes. May have to settle for Aluminum I'm afraid.

I AM kidding about the Titanium..............
icon_wink.gif

I got cold roll steel @ Home Depot. They had it stored in a weird place, like back by wood moldings and doors. I got some 12"X12" pieces, they had some a little bigger too. Tractor Supply Company also had some in their hardware area. Good luck. Peace, Wanbli

Well, it's a done deal. I couldn't find what I needed at either Lowes or Home Depot. When I got home, I see that Amazon dropped the price of the Weber unit 15 bucks today while I was out. With free shipping, it was a no-brainer. I was trying to do this to save a little money, not because I love to build things.

Thanks for everyones' input.

got a spare 55gallon drum kicking around?

something like this as an example(i used this to help pic example to help someone turn their weber into a smoker of sorts)
1t1o3n.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky