Sadly Stick Burner has to go

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gonavy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Well it is finally here, my COPD has gotten to the point that I need to be on O2 pretty much all the time. I usually only needed O2 for exertion and Exercise. When I smoked I did every thing off O2, but this last time I got really bad out of breath, checked my O2 levels with a pulse ox when I went out to wrap the ribs and worked the fire up in the pit..lol...when I came back in, I checked, I was at 72%...omg most people would pass out in the mid eighties. So I am thinking I can't do that any more, and strolling up to a smoker with open flames wearing an oxygen mask is a really bad idea...lol...the old roadrunner cartoons where the coyote blows himself up come to mind...lol...so the stick burner has to go I think, but was wondering maybe I can get an electric smoker, I think maybe I can wear my oxygen around it. Has anyone here still do smoking using oxygen, and if so how you doing it, what kind of smoker ...etc...I really want to continue smoking, I love this stuff, but not enough to blow myself up

Hey go navy I've seen a carry around oxygen box on Tv ... it makes it's own size of a shoe box ..look into it ......sorry about your situation...Ron

Hey go navy I've seen a carry around oxygen box on Tv ... it makes it's own size of a shoe box ..look into it ......sorry about your situation...Ron

Ya I have one for trips down town ..its a POC (Portable Oxygen Concentrator) doesn't change the fact that it is still pure oxygen, which is very flammable, that's the part that blows up..lol...granted not as big an explosion as a tank, but still not good.

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
with a electric smoker there is no open flame so i don't see why there would be a problem.

That is what I was thinking, just wondering if some one on here has experience with this situation

Bummer man, that sucks.

I remember watching some old broad pull her O2 mask down to light up a cigarette, I was thinking of Wily E. or Elmer F. going KABOOM! and then standing there with a smoking black head.

LMAO...ya she gets the darwin award, if your still smoking and on oxygen, brains are not your strong suit

Really sorry for your condition. I know that all oxygen equipment has warnings about open flames, but oxygen is not flammable or explosive. In sufficient concentration it will cause burning items to burn much more vigorously, but oxygen by it self is not flammable. I am certainly not telling you it is ok to use oxygen while smoking meat but my wife’s cousin was on oxygen for several years and heated with a wood stove

Reactions: Ben58
As far as I know , oxygen works as an accelerator for combustibles .
Not a good idea to have around an open flame even though it's not flammable . It makes a flame into a bomb .
Don't see why electric wouldn't work for you .

Sorry to hear about your breathing problems. That is a problem that never seems to let up.
Not that it has anything to do with the O2 concern but I frequently use a portable stand up fan on our covered deck due to the smoke collecting under the ceiling. It also provides a good draft OUT of the smoker and I can (for the most part) direct the smoke where I would like it to go. With an electric smoker it is easy to adjust the amount of smoke as well. Hope you can find a way to keep on cooking GOOD food!
Don

I'm not on oxygen yet but will likely be there someday and I switched from a gas burner to an electric (Smokin-It) a year or so ago. No adding wood every 45-60 minutes, its pretty much set it and forget it. I have been known to nap worry free while waiting for the temp alarm to go off. I do wear a mask when I open the door. I got a Smokin-It #1 but I'm wishing now that I would have got the #2 to have a little more room for hanging sausage. It does a great job though and I'd say it does a better job than my gas smokers ever did. Its very well built and really well insulated. I've got a PID for it but haven't got around to installing it yet. @old sarge has one of the larger ones. The only thing I've ran into that's radically different than a conventional gas/electric/pellet smoker is that you need to give the exhaust vent a boost by using a jerky dryer to help remove moisture from the unit for jerky and sausage. They sell a fancy SS one for $100 or you can make one for less than $20 with a PC fan and some PVC. They're not cheap but never once have I felt like I didn't get my moneys worth. I haven't had to avail myself of it but CS is great too from what I've read.

https://www.smokin-it.com/

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky