S&W 500 Magnum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colossal Onion

Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I am Trying to replace the RTD rod on my S&W 500 Magnum Smoker. It is in a welded section underneath the smoker. I can push and pull it back and forth about an inch and a half. But at that point, it appears to be stuck. How do I get it out and how should I insert the new one, so it works properly ??
Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
First, greetings and welcome to the group.
Never heard of an "S&W 500 Magnum Smoker", a gun, but not smoker.
Got any pictures of the RTD cable and where it is located?

I am Trying to replace the RTD rod on my S&W 500 Magnum Smoker. It is in a welded section underneath the smoker. I can push and pull it back and forth about an inch and a half. But at that point, it appears to be stuck. How do I get it out and how should I insert the new one, so it works properly ??
Thanks
Thanks
First, greetings and welcome to the group.
Never heard of an "S&W 500 Magnum Smoker", a gun, but not smoker.
Got any pictures of the RTD cable and where it is located?

Did a little googling…basically rebadged Traegers. might Want to google those and see if it helps.

Jim

True, Smith & Wesson make great guns. They also, once upon a time made great pellet smokers. They gave up the smokers, due to some problems with Traeger. I have added a photo of the smoker and a photo of the bottom of the smoker, where the TRD is. It is in a hole that appears to be a welded baffle underneath the smoker. I have used this smoker with very little problems for several years. But, this past week, I have replace the controls, the ager fan, and the igniter probe. The TRD is the only item that is left. Problem is with igniting the pellets and maintaining a consistent temp while smoking meat.
Any help on how to replace the TRD is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks

Photos of S&W 500 Mag

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 27
  • TRD.jpg
    TRD.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: JLeonard
I’ve no experience with the smoker, unfortunately.

But I bet you could get it unstuck using the other S&W .500 Magnum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky