Rye Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have to have bread with my eggs on the weekend and this is good one. I got it from Al's wife Judy. My favorite recipe. Was going to make regular sour dough but did not get my starter ready in time. I don't bake very often so I just use dried starter when ready. Takes about 2 days to get ready. I like to let my SD sit in fridge for 24 hours before baking but this recipe only takes few hour from start to finish. I so want to dive into this but will wait until tomorrow. Getting back on the low carb thing but slide on weekends. I would send some dried starter if someone wants to try this. Here is her recipe. Hopefully Al does not mind.

200 g Sour Dough Starter
130 g Water
¼ cup Oil
¼ cup pickle juice
170 g Bread Flour
100 g Rye flour
3 Tbs Potato Flakes
1.5 Tbs Raw Sugar
2 Tbs Caraway Seeds
1.5 tsp salt
2.5 tsp instant yeast
2 Tbls dough improver I use Gluten

Place bread flour, rye flour, potato flakes, caraway seeds, demarara sugar, yeast, and sea salt in the bowl of a large stand mixer. Turn mixer to low and thoroughly mix dry ingredients. Beat warm water, canola oil, and pickle juice into dry ingredients. Fit dough hook onto mixer and beat until dough is rough and shaggy-looking.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for exactly 30 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and knead dough in stand mixer with dough hook until smooth, firm, and only slightly sticky, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 more minutes.

Form dough into a ball, place dough into an oiled bowl, and turn dough around several times in bowl to coat with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set into a warm place, and let rise until nearly double, about 1 hour.

Grease a 5x9-inch loaf pan. Turn dough onto a lightly oiled surface, shape into a log, and place into prepared loaf pan. Cover with a cloth kitchen towel and let rise until top of dough has risen slightly over top of pan, 60 to 90 minutes.

Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake loaf until golden brown and cooked through, about 35 minutes. The internal temperature of the bread should be 190 degrees F (90 degrees C). If loaf browns too quickly, cover loosely with a tent of aluminum foil with shiny side out. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

20220107_140819.jpg 20220107_140808.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome looking bread, Brian. Nicely done! I have a quick question for you though: what is a purpose of using of pickle juice and potatoes flakes? Just curious - maybe I need to incorporate your technics in my bread making....

Looks good! Since it calls for Instant Yeast I wonder if you could use sourdough discard?
What's a "dough improver"?
Rye lacks Gluten. I always had trouble getting it to rise until I started adding it. Kroger sells a bag of it pretty cheap. Dough Improver is a bit pricier and harder to get. Gluten works just fine.

Awesome looking bread, Brian. Nicely done! I have a quick question for you though: what is a purpose of using of pickle juice and potatoes flakes? Just curious - maybe I need to incorporate your technics in my bread making....

You would have to ask SmokinAl SmokinAl I just follow the recipe and comes out great very time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky