RTV Silicone & Clamps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Byrney

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Gday guys,

i feel like theres not too many aussies around to ask and the aussiepitsmokers site is gone for parts and this smoker is made in oz My research about sealing up your smoker around the net seems dated and I wonder if new ideas and materials are recommended.

so far, ive heard of high temp gasket rape that has self adhesive. RTV Silicone that can be used with firerope. Straight RTV Silicone with cling wrap thats cured then cut to fit and door clamps.

Looking to see what everyone these days recommend to seal up their smoker nice and tight and how. I have a little bit of a leaky one and im also looking to seal up some spots in and around the firebox as well as cooking chamber

here’s a pic of my smoker and its dimensions. https://urbangriller.com/shop/texas-offset/texas-pro-pit-offset-bbq-smoker/

would be great to hear all your thoughts. Also if anyone can point me in the right direction for suitable door clamps and size for my smoker... im sorry i dont know exactly how to. Im not sure if the rubber end on the clamp is suppose to go no farther than the door edge where it meets the cooking chamber!!

hope your all well
Dave

Last edited:
My experience is that silicone won't stick to any surface that has been contaminated with smoke/grease etc..
No matter how much you scrub the surfaces to be sealed with a wire brush and acetone, the bond won't be as strong as new non-contaminated metal.
In addition, the stink it gives off when it gets hot is too strong for me and can't possibly be good for human consumption.
I've used adhesive backed heat proof felt type tape many times and it seals well and lasts a long time.

Awesome advice mate. do you stick this on the door or the cooker, What brand? Do you have an option for the firebox.
How do i seal up gap inside the fb and cc

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky