RTV Melted!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rowdytex

Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
West Texas
Been a lurquer on here for a while,

I tried the RTV high temp to seal the lid on my CG firebox lid and fired it up after a little over 24 hrs and it melted in spots, even after 8-9 hrs it is mushy. Tomorrow I'l scrape and sand it off, guess it's just going to be the foil fix.

-Rowdy

Welcome Rowdy!

What brand of RTV did you use?

How about get some gasket for a wood stove and use the RTV to adhere it to the firebox?

Todd

Todd, I used the automotive stuff in the red tube, not sure of the name brand.

I will see if the stove gasket will work, however I think it might be too thick to fit between the lid and the SFB.

Thanks for the replys,

-Rowdy

welcome1.gif

Mine did the same thing too.  I'm not too concerned about it.  I have a little smoke loss coming out near the right hinge but I dont really notice it that much.  The stuff i have is rated 500 deg, but I think the surface of the sfb can get hotter than that.  I might sand and reapply.

Here's what I used

Click on picture to link

745f97d8_sealeant.jpg

I used mine on the stickburner with glass rope, so far so good, I hope I didn't jinx myself

This is rated at 650° and I know the fire box gets much hotter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky