RTV Melted!

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by rowdytex, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Been a lurquer on here for a while,

I tried the RTV high temp to seal the lid on my CG firebox lid and fired it up after a little over 24 hrs and it melted in spots, even after 8-9 hrs it is mushy. Tomorrow I'l scrape and sand it off, guess it's just going to be the foil fix.

-Rowdy

2. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome Rowdy!

What brand of RTV did you use?

How about get some gasket for a wood stove and use the RTV to adhere it to the firebox?

Todd

3. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Here are some options you might look at... Dave

http://heating-and-cooling.hardwarestore.com/98-580-stove-gaskets-and-cements.aspx

4. Todd, I used the automotive stuff in the red tube, not sure of the name brand.

I will see if the stove gasket will work, however I think it might be too thick to fit between the lid and the SFB.

Thanks for the replys,

-Rowdy

5. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

6. wmarkw

wmarkw Smoking Fanatic

Mine did the same thing too.  I'm not too concerned about it.  I have a little smoke loss coming out near the right hinge but I dont really notice it that much.  The stuff i have is rated 500 deg, but I think the surface of the sfb can get hotter than that.  I might sand and reapply.

7. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Here's what I used

Click on picture to link

[​IMG]

I used mine on the stickburner with glass rope, so far so good, I hope I didn't jinx myself

This is rated at 650° and I know the fire box gets much hotter.

9. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

BTW

[​IMG]

10. michael ark

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  11. michael ark

12. Let me sell you another digital thermometer!  Love that pic! Thanks for sharing. :)