Routing Probe Wires in a Kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tiger1964

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Seabrook, MD
OK, on my latest (third) remote thermometer; an Inkbird and, so far, I love it. But, in any case, I need to get the cable from the probe in the meat out to the "base station", and I'm getting some (some might say too much) escaping smoke from the felt seal where the two halves of the Kamado meet, thanks for the thickness of the cable.

My first thought is boring a hole in the ceramic. My second thought is :emoji_dizzy_face: :emoji_dizzy_face: :emoji_dizzy_face:.

So - how is it done? I thought of routing through the top vent, but this limits opening and closing the vent and I visualize opening the grill and pulling the thermometer off onto the patio.

I have 3 Big Green Eggs. I just put the probes wires of my device (BBQ Guru, Thermoworks Smoke or whatever) between the base and the dome. With very little smoke coming through. Have you check your dome alignment or have you done the dollar test to make sure you have no gaps when the dome is closed normally?

I have 3 Big Green Eggs. I just put the probes wires of my device (BBQ Guru, Thermoworks Smoke or whatever) between the base and the dome. With very little smoke coming through. Have you check your dome alignment or have you done the dollar test to make sure you have no gaps when the dome is closed normally?

Well, I do have a set of go/no-go feeler gauges, I guess I could check with those. :emoji_wink: But I'll say that in the cases where I grill without using the probes/wires, I see no smoke getting out past the gasket where the halves meet. I do get some leaking out of the -- I think they call it a chip feeder port? There's no gasket on that, and I never use it anyway. Hmm, if I could fabricate something to fit there, and feed the wires through that? It's kinda a roundabout route to the grilling surface, however.

I do get some leaking out of the -- I think they call it a chip feeder port? There's no gasket on that, and I never use it anyway. Hmm, if I could fabricate something to fit there, and feed the wires through that? It's kinda a roundabout route to the grilling surface, however.
What kind of Kamado do you have? I’m not familiar with a chip feeder port on a Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe or other type of ceramic grill. They usually only have a slider air intake on the base and a top vent on the dome. Other then that there is no other openings.

I also have an Inkbird, as well as a BBQ Guru and I just run the wires between the two sections. I just make sure the wires are not doubled up, so the thickness is minimal. I have never had a problem doing this on my Big Joe, so I don't understand you problem. As asked which Kamado grill do you have?

What kind of Kamado do you have? I’m not familiar with a chip feeder port on a Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe or other type of ceramic grill. They usually only have a slider air intake on the base and a top vent on the dome. Other then that there is no other openings.

I have a Saffire, older model but you can see the "port" in the picture on their home page: SAFFIRE

I have a Saffire, older model but you can see the "port" in the picture on their home page: SAFFIRE
Interesting, I never saw that feature. I only use chips in my BGE when doing a quick cook like chicken or pork tenderloin. If it’s a longer cook like ribs, brisket, pulled pork I just mix chunks of the smoking wood in the lump.

Looking at the pics of the Saffire it looks like you have a gasket on the dome and the bottom. That should help to prevent smoke from escaping. Are you putting multiple wires in the same spot? If I have 2 or more leads leaving my EGG I space them an inch or so apart so I don’t create a gap. Many years ago I removed the top and bottom factory gaskets. Now I only have a Rutland gasket on the base of all my eggs. Never had an issue.

It's not ideal, but I live with the leak caused by the probe wires. My controller has thick wires, but it also has a blower fan so the positive pressure makes it a non issue. I just close the vent slightly more to compensate. With no fan, the exhaust wants to go up, not sideways.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky