Rotisserie Rump Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
New Years Day dinner on the santa maria. Surprisingly juicy for a rump.
Spun for almost 2 hours over red oak. Meater probe said ambient was 190F but my hand said more like 275/300. Tried to reverse sear, which may have caused outer regions to overcook.

Check out this short video of spinning and sizzling. Zoom in for good view of the sizzling.

Thanks for looking.

P1050138.jpeg

P1050146.jpeg

P1050171.jpeg

P1050177.jpeg

Looking righteous. I'm currently obsessed with my rotisserie, and looks like I'll be adding this to the list of things to spin.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looking righteous. I'm currently obsessed with my rotisserie, and looks like I'll be adding this to the list of things to spin.
I like watching the juices sizzle and roil as it spins. I wanted to do a turkey for Christmas but weather did not cooperate.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Spinning most everything makes it taste better, kind of like adding bacon to anything. Trust your hand. Ambient temp are hard to get. The hand always seems to work.
So I made a list of things that bacon didn't make better. I can't remember if I wrote anything down, but if I did it was to say that at the very least there is no list.

Spun for almost 2 hours over red oak. Meater probe said ambient was 190F but my hand said more like 275/300. Tried to reverse sear, which may have caused outer regions to overcook.

Check out this short video of spinning and sizzling. Zoom in for good view of the sizzling.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 653146

View attachment 653147

View attachment 653148

View attachment 653149

Edmonds,

I just start salivating looking at that roast.

Have you ever spit roasted a chuck roast? If so, do you have any advise or suggestions?

Edmonds,

I just start salivating looking at that roast.

Have you ever spit roasted a chuck roast? If so, do you have any advise or suggestions?
Yea, that video of spinning and sizzling meat would make a vegetarian regret his life decisions.

I have grilled chuck roasts to 130/135F. So tasty. But I never did spin one. I've been thinking about it all afternoon though. It won't break down all the connective tissue but should render most of the fat. Find a chuck or arm roast that has a lot of intramuscular fat and either dry brine or marinate overnight.

Yea, that video of spinning and sizzling meat would make a vegetarian regret his life decisions.

I have grilled chuck roasts to 130/135F. So tasty. But I never did spin one. I've been thinking about it all afternoon though. It won't break down all the connective tissue but should render most of the fat. Find a chuck or arm roast that has a lot of intramuscular fat and either dry brine or marinate overnight.
I think I am going to buy a chuck roll (they come 13 to 21-lbs according to the meat market I am purchasing from) and cut it in two - freeze half and spit roast the other half. I did not know what temperature to shoot for so thank you for that! And after what I've learned from the top sirloin and the chicken I spit roasted recently, I am going to locate the spit over the center of the fire pit and split the coals in two either side of the pit, and add splits each side as needed.

I've been lusting after your roast since the first second I saw it.

I think I am going to buy a chuck roll (they come 13 to 21-lbs according to the meat market I am purchasing from) and cut it in two - freeze half and spit roast the other half. I did not know what temperature to shoot for so thank you for that! And after what I've learned from the top sirloin and the chicken I spit roasted recently, I am going to locate the spit over the center of the fire pit and split the coals in two either side of the pit, and add splits each side as needed.

I've been lusting after your roast since the first second I saw it.
Yea, chuck won't render enough if you shoot for medium rare, need to go slightly beyond that. But if you go too long it'll dry out. Looking forward to your results.

Reactions: Retired Spook

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 653146

View attachment 653147

View attachment 653148

View attachment 653149

Results look good!

edmonds edmonds I am picking up a beef shoulder clod today - it is a low-cost chuck-ish way to see what I can learn spit-roasting a very large cut of beef without tossing too much money in the trash if things go bad. Plan to spit-roast half and freeze half. Been watching many YouTube vids of clod cooks and butchering and one guy smoked a clod for the first time and was very surprised how good it came out - on the verge of stating that is was "better than a brisket."

I think I am going to inject with 50% dark beer 50% beef stock and shoot for the 145 to 150-degree range on the spit per Raichlen's suggestion. We'll see how it goes. Worst case is the half I freeze I grind for burgers, smoke it or make a giant pot-roast out of it...

From what I have read, clod was the king of Texas barbeque prior to the 60's when brisket became popular.

Last edited:
Welp - clod did not make the truck - but just as well as I spent the morning in the ER with a kidney stone. Not my idea of fun...

Clod now supposed to be here Monday.

Also, traded emails with Kreus Market in Lockhart, TX (one of the famous barbecue places in Texas). While reading their website about clod I noticed it said they smoke their clods for 4-1/2 hours. Their video of a clod being sliced on their website looked awesome so I thought the cook time was a mistake and emailed them about it. Nope - they smoke clod hotter, for 4-1/2 to 5-hours.

Wouldn't that be something to be able to smoke some great beef in much less time than a brisket????

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky