Rotisserie Info needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's some good looking RB Rich. Nice a rare. Are you running heat on both sides of the fork or just one?

Chris
I would have to guess you would need some good binders to spin a fattie? or at least make it shorter.....oh the possibilities are going to be endless when Chris starts playing.

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
I would have to guess you would need some good binders to spin a fattie? or at least make it shorter.....oh the possibilities are going to be endless when Chris starts playing.
I've already got the fattie figured out in my head. Now it's just a waiting game. The three month countdown is going to bug me. Maybe I'll get lucky and we'll have an Indian summer in Jan.. Where's climate change when you need it. ugggh.

Chris

Never even considered spinning a fattie. Now you got the wheels a turning
That was the plan . If anybody could make it happen it's you .
That's some good looking RB Rich. Nice a rare. Are you running heat on both sides of the fork or just one?
That was just one side . Had the lid on , and was a bit to much heat .
Cooks fast too . Next time will be less heat and the lid off .
I need to get something thawed out so I can spin it .

I've already got the fattie figured out in my head. Now it's just a waiting game. The three month countdown is going to bug me. Maybe I'll get lucky and we'll have an Indian summer in Jan.. Where's climate change when you need it. ugggh.

Chris
I am sure you will have a day above freezing sometime before then, If the lid is off you will not need to babysit it constantly. Or get a good Bluetooth thermometer and relocate the beer in the house.

I tried using the spinner with the top on a couple of times when I first got it, SnS and then a basket one side, coals and splits, game hens then a yardbird. Both times the bird came out juicy but the fire was so hot it cooked the skin off. Since then I've gone with the lid off, basket each side of the fork, coals and splits, adding a few coals and a fresh split right around every half hour. Gets clean smoke that way, easy to keep an eye on and attend to. I'm thinking in foul weather the SnS with vents half closed might be the way to go. Of course where I live we never have foul weather, mostly sunny days with some hotter than others. RAY

DSCN4199.JPG

DSCN4200.JPG

I tried using the spinner with the top on a couple of times when I first got it, SnS and then a basket one side, coals and splits, game hens then a yardbird. Both times the bird came out juicy but the fire was so hot it cooked the skin off. Since then I've gone with the lid off, basket each side of the fork, coals and splits, adding a few coals and a fresh split right around every half hour. Gets clean smoke that way, easy to keep an eye on and attend to. I'm thinking in foul weather the SnS with vents half closed might be the way to go. Of course where I live we never have foul weather, mostly sunny days with some hotter than others.

View attachment 649784

View attachment 649785
Yep Ray, you started this lid off trend and am glad you did. Birds have some of the best smoke flavor of any other way I have done them with the equipment that I have.

I'm not positive but I think Stu, aka SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , keeps the top on when using his roto. His cooks using the rotisserie come out phenomenal every time, I'm still trying to figure out his method. This is a pic of a couple game hens Stu spun some months back, I saved it because I consider it to be the gold standard by which all other spinner cooks are judged, he didn't post it, would have made the carousel for sure. Maybe he'll chime is and depart some sage advice.
20220116_162349.jpg

I'm not positive but I think Stu, aka SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , keeps the top on when using his roto. His cooks using the rotisserie come out phenomenal every time, I'm still trying to figure out his method. This is a pic of a couple game hens Stu spun some months back, I saved it because I consider it to be the gold standard by which all other spinner cooks are judged, he didn't post it, would have made the carousel for sure. Maybe he'll chime is and depart some sage advice. View attachment 649789

It felt kind of strange giving my own pic a "like" LOL!
Ray, thank you for the kind words and using that hen cook as the gold standard.

Ray is correct in that when I use the rotisserie, I do it with the top on, SnS with full water trough, and drip pan underneath.
The key with top on is to make sure your fire is not too hot and don't go by the lid therm since it sits directly above the coals. Dialing in the temps between 240°- 280° for the first hour or two seem to give me the best results. Then I crank up the temp to 300°- 325° toward the end and check IT every 30 minutes.
Since my roti ring doesn't have a thermometer in it, I monitor temps by placing the Inkbird probe and grate clip in the spit rod cutout on the roti ring.
See post #29 2nd pic.
While not ideal, this does give me a better idea of the temps than going by the lid therm.
Bowl and lid vent position is also key especially when using the SnS. Usually I'll run the bowl vents at about 1/4 inch or so open and the lid vents 3/4 of the way open.
I also tend to think that using the SnS griddle/drip pan acts as a baffle not only when using the roti but on all smokes in the kettle.
One of these days I'll confirm those suspicions by dropping a probe down there.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Stu

What is a SnS griddle/drip pan, and why don't I have one? RAY

Ray, I love this thing and it's dual purpose.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Yeah if you don't have an SnS kettle, it'll fit in your 22" weber just fine. It's half moon shaped. SnS sells a porcelain version which is the less expensive one. You can use it as a baffle down low, or as a griddle on the top grate. But don't try to heat it up too high (e.g. for smash burgers) because it can warp.

Yeah if you don't have an SnS kettle, it'll fit in your 22" weber just fine. It's half moon shaped. SnS sells a porcelain version which is the less expensive one. You can use it as a baffle down low, or as a griddle on the top grate. But don't try to heat it up too high (e.g. for smash burgers) because it can warp.
Yep, either the stainless or the CI griddle are preferred for high heat cooking.

Reactions: Marknmd
Yes - I have the cast iron half moon for searing up top, but it doesn't fit snugly to the walls of the kettle down below - its frame is a bit smaller.

I noticed that about the CI griddle. I'm still contemplating the CI griddle for up top since the SS griddle does slide around a little too much for my liking.
The only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger is whether or not I want another piece of CI to maintain.

Reactions: Marknmd
I noticed that about the CI griddle. I'm still contemplating the CI griddle for up top since the SS griddle does slide around a little too much for my liking.
The only thing that stops me from pulling the trigger is whether or not I want another piece of CI to maintain.
Haha - yeah well, that half moon CI does fit up there nicely. Since we're on the subject of griddles, here's a deal for a nice little cast aluminum griddle/grate. As I'm sure you know, cast aluminum transfers heat very efficiently and evenly and makes great grill marks. This is a "factory second" but when I got mine it was absolutely perfect. I don't know why they call them seconds other than maybe they have too many of them? It's supposedly an "indoor" griddle/grate, but there is nothing stopping one from using it outside. And you can drill holes in it for smoke vents pretty easily. I used quarter inch bits. :-D https://www.grillgrate.com/products/searnsizzle-grillgrate-for-the-foodi-smart-grill-xl/

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky