Rookie question about chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wacarry

Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
I'm going to be smoking two whole chickens today. They each weigh about 5 lbs.

Any estimate as to how long at 225 degrees?
Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to hours/pound?

I have a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker.

Thank you in advance,
Kelley

You can figure about 2-3 hours, if you keep them whole.

Spatchcocking will cut the time down & give you a more even cook.

Al

You'll probably be in the 3-4 hour range. Honestly I'd crank your MES up as high as it will go. Chicken does better at higher temps. I'd also spatchcock the birds.

They will cook evenly, and the cooking time will be less.

Thank you all!
If they finish before dinner time, should I wrap them in foil, or what's the best way to keep them until ready to eat?

Here's the before and after pics-
98940d7a09a3f896ea45c8ab52067704.jpg

Only got a pic of one after they were done, we devoured the smaller chicken as soon as I pulled it out.
Not bad for my first smoke-
9ef90e2bc8dbc3fb4526d3c5793240c0.jpg

Now thass sum gooood lookin' chicken!  

What are the details of your smoke?  Temp? Time? Type of rub? Did you inject? Type of wood you used?

I find that information is always interesting and helps me think through all of the different variations.  Thanks in advance!

Thank you!

Here's the info-
I cooked them for about 1 1/2 at 225, checked the temp and the meat wasn't progressing very well so I cranked it up to 275, as I had promised dinner at 6. Took right at 3 hrs.

I used a dry rub with Smoked paprika, cayenne, chili powder, and white and brown sugar as well as garlic and onion powder. Didn't inject anything.

Next time I will go a little easier on the pepper as the skin was pretty spicy. But the meat underneath was perfect. Juicy as could be.

Pulled them out when the breast read 165.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky