Rookie is gonna make BACON and RIBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scoreman

Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I went to the butcher and purchased a 14 pound pork belly today. It came the the rib cage attached. The butcher removed the ribs and gave them to me as well.

So, now, with the 2 racks of ribs I have in the freezer, I will be smoking all 3 racks tomorrow in the AM. Mrs Score dry rubbed them with her own concoction of spices. She won't tell me what she used. LOL. I will post pics of that tomorrow as I toss it on the smoker. I am going to use the 3-2-1 method. I am assuming she used some kind of garlic powder, onion powder, meat tenderizer, etc.

As far as the pork belly goes, I cut it in 2 to start. I am curing it with a mix of kosher salt, brown sugar and maple syrup. I will cure it for 5 days. I have pics of that, which I will post in a minute.

My question about the pork belly: Once I put it on the smoker, how many hours/temp should I get it to?

900fa7bb_IMAG0083.jpg

As far as the pork belly goes, I cut it in 2 to start. I am curing it with a mix of kosher salt, brown sugar and maple syrup. I will cure it for 5 days. I have pics of that, which I will post in a minute.

My question about the pork belly: Once I put it on the smoker, how many hours/temp should I get it to?
Without "Cure", it's just salted pork belly, not bacon

I cure bacon 10 days and cold smoke for 12 hours with Apple.

Lots of posts on making bacon.

Todd

You need to cure the belly and not with Kosher Salt. I would suggest reading some of the bacon threads before you start you can always freeze the belly until your ready to start the process

What they said , you will have a seasoned pork belly but not bacon. I would suggest reading up on it a bit first. It can be done by a new smoker but the directions have to be followed to the letter to prevent any sickness from the cure. 
icon14.gif

Not with Kosher Salt you'll need an actual cure

As far as the pork belly goes, I cut it in 2 to start. I am curing it with a mix of kosher salt, brown sugar and maple syrup. I will cure it for 5 days.
Your ingredients listed above:

kosher salt

brown sugar

maple syrup

Where's the Cure #1 or Morton's Tenderquick?

If you don't add "Cure", you'll have to cook your bacon to 165° in 4 hours to be safe.  This is not really long enough to get a good smoke flavor, and the heat will render the fat out of your belly.  Most guys "Cold Smoke" belly bacon or smoke at low temps.

Kosher Salt" is not "Cure"

Todd

Got ya.

Your ingredients listed above:

kosher salt

brown sugar

maple syrup

Where's the Cure #1 or Morton's Tenderquick?

If you don't add "Cure", you'll have to cook your bacon to 165° in 4 hours to be safe.  This is not really long enough to get a good smoke flavor, and the heat will render the fat out of your belly.  Most guys "Cold Smoke" belly bacon or smoke at low temps.

Kosher Salt" is not "Cure"

Todd

Pete I'll be in chat for a bit if you want some advice

You can use cure #1; either dry cure or wet cure, or dry cure w/Tenderquick.  Others will guide you for curing process on dry cure with cure #1 or Tenderquick.  I can guide you on wet cure with cure #1.

Basic cure:

1 cup sea salt

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon Cure #1 (pink salt w/sodium nitrite)

1 gal. water

use multiples or partials as necessary depending on your container size, keeping it proportionally correct.  Mix w/cold water, stir thoroughly.  Add other flavorings as desired (i.e. maple syrup, jalapenos, Jack Daniels, lol).  Put meat in food safe bucket (get 5 gal. ingredient buckets at deli/bakery counters, etc.) and weight down so it doesn't stick up out of the pickle, a half full 1 gal. ziploc bag with water works quick and easy).  Refridgerate.  Don't have a bucket to fit in the fridge?  Empty out a crisper in the bottom and line with a plastic bag, pickle product in it, twist tie shut.  Soak 10 days, pull out, dry, smoke and drool!

Score,

Seems like Piney, Todd, Pops and others got you covered.

You can also look at either of the Bacon step by steps in my Signature below my posts.

Be careful,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky