Rookie from Sunbury, OH

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinOHBuckeye

Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
Sunbury, OH
I'm a rookie from Ohio that has always loved Q, but never made any of it myself. Don't judge me, I started boiling ribs years ago and moved to crock pot, then the oven with liquid smoke, and finally onto real smoke with a Traeger Pro22 after my wife and daughter got me it for father's day this year. I respect the hell out of the guys using offsets and having to control temps themselves, mastering it the "real" way.

So far I have smoked chicken wings, baby back ribs (still a work in progress), chuck roast (tried poor mans brisket- 1 out of 2 were successful), and a full packer brisket(surprisingly one of my best outcomes thanks to this forum).

Recently invested in Nobebird thermometer to monitor inside temp in a few spots for my brisket cook, and this has been eye opening! Not surprised by my ribs turning out too tough when using 3-2-1 as the grate temp is consistently lower than 225 when I have it set there. Learned from this forum that the temp control on electric/pellet is unreliable at best, and you need another way to monitor. Excited to give it another shot now that I have learned a little bit.

Excited to learn and share some of my smokes as I go! The New Toy (More like obsession).jpg Ribs and Corn First Smoke Almost Ready.jpg Brisket Sale!.jpg Brisket Almost Ready To Wrap.jpg Brisket Wrapped.jpg Brisket Done.jpg Brisket Done 2.jpg Chucks Just On.jpg Chucks Center Stage Zoomed In.jpg Chuck and Wings 2.jpg Chuck Roast Blurry Done.jpg Chuck Roast Cut.jpg

I'm "that guy" who obsessively went through the forum posts before a cook. My wife would laugh at me for reading for hours and hours before attempting a cook. Lots of people's trial and error helped me get a jump start, but i've still had some struggles!

Welcome to SMF. Im right down the road from you, Lewis Center. Search is your friend here. I just had a rib cook off on the square last month.

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky