• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rollin A Fatty: My Version

jjwdiver

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 5, 2010
Great tutorial, just found it and am chomping at the bit to try this. 20 years ago rollin' a fatty and smokin' it meant something completely different. Who would have thought I'd do it again after all these years!!!!

gadgetguy

Joined Feb 27, 2010
well i'm a noobie here and a friend told me about this ! now that i see how it's done i guess it'll be next weekends festivities!!!!

HarryC

mama's smoke

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 9, 2010
Okay, I've got to try one of these. Thinking along the lines of Italian sausage with Italian innards, but I'm guessing no sauce. Maybe that can be served with the finished fatty. BTW, what's that white stuff on the ground?

violator

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 21, 2010
Man, all these ideas I'm getting around here could cause me to shorten the time I had intended to be scouting the woods next weekend - and every weekend from here on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super pixs. Thanx.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 23, 2010
Thanks Ray for all the great information. I have been checking out the fatties (I never heard of a fattie until I joined the SMF) for the last month or so and have decided (against my wife's better judgement) to give them a try this week.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get a Qview on line (camera issues), but I am definitely giving the fatties a try this weekend.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 7, 2009
I have never had any problems making any of mine, though I do prepare a little differently.  I don't have a rolling pin but I use the cooking spray can, it works real well for now. lol  I roll out the meat in a ziplock, then stick it in the fridge while I do the bacon weave.  I do the bacon weave right on the suran wrap, then put the rolled out meat on top, then fillings, and roll it all at once.  I sometimes have to pick it up and center it on the plastic wrap, and I have learned to wrap it a second time so it doesn't split open from where the ends over lap when twisting it tight.  It works for me.

duffman

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 15, 2010
Wow I had never heard of a Fatty before today but it is is going to my ever growing list of things to try from this message board. 

celticgladiator

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 17, 2010
i am going to try to make one of these tomorrow. only heard of it a few days ago and i am so curious to try one now i cant wait. thanks for the excellent instructional!!!!

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Great post. I also find that if I put the rolled out sausage in the bag, into the freezer for 20-30 minutes before trying to roll the fatty it really helps to keep the roll looking nice and clean.

bostonsmoke

Joined Jul 23, 2010
Fantastic tutorial. I've never seen or heard of this before, but I think I'm in love with a Fatty.

Will be trying these on my WSM asap!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Hey Ray,

Great tutorial by our own "Fatty King"

Thanks,

Bear

BTW Ray: I got to thinking about you going back to school, and getting a new job. I found a perfect briefcase for you. It would be perfect for either school or work, but maybe you should have two of them.

fliphyzer

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 8, 2010
One of the guys at the office was trying to tell me about this a week or so ago.  After my immediate reaction of instant artery clogging I am fairly intrigued, thanks for the turorial.  Got something new to do this week!

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
One of the guys at the office was trying to tell me about this a week or so ago.  After my immediate reaction of instant artery clogging I am fairly intrigued, thanks for the turorial.  Got something new to do this week!
I'm really suprized that we don't have cardiologist lined up wanting to advertize on the SMF.

Mine used to fuss at me till i brought him some ribs .

mikeb

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Excellent tutorial! I am new to the site and to smoking..I cannot wait to get to this one!! Bacon makes EVERYTHING better!!

mythmaster

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 24, 2010
I've yet to try one of these, too -- can't wait!  I might actually try to do a Bacon Explosion

Last edited by a moderator:

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Oct 20, 2010
Thank you and your wife for the wonderful tutorial! I plan to try one or two by the end of the week!!!

Alesia

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.