Rollin A Fatty: My Version

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great tutorial, just found it and am chomping at the bit to try this. 20 years ago rollin' a fatty and smokin' it meant something completely different. Who would have thought I'd do it again after all these years!!!!

well i'm a noobie here and a friend told me about this ! now that i see how it's done i guess it'll be next weekends festivities!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

HarryC

Okay, I've got to try one of these. Thinking along the lines of Italian sausage with Italian innards, but I'm guessing no sauce. Maybe that can be served with the finished fatty. BTW, what's that white stuff on the ground?

Man, all these ideas I'm getting around here could cause me to shorten the time I had intended to be scouting the woods next weekend - and every weekend from here on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super pixs. Thanx.

Thanks Ray for all the great information. I have been checking out the fatties (I never heard of a fattie until I joined the SMF) for the last month or so and have decided (against my wife's better judgement) to give them a try this week.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get a Qview on line (camera issues), but I am definitely giving the fatties a try this weekend.

I have never had any problems making any of mine, though I do prepare a little differently.  I don't have a rolling pin but I use the cooking spray can, it works real well for now. lol  I roll out the meat in a ziplock, then stick it in the fridge while I do the bacon weave.  I do the bacon weave right on the suran wrap, then put the rolled out meat on top, then fillings, and roll it all at once.  I sometimes have to pick it up and center it on the plastic wrap, and I have learned to wrap it a second time so it doesn't split open from where the ends over lap when twisting it tight.  It works for me.
biggrin.gif

Reactions: mountainmama
Great post. I also find that if I put the rolled out sausage in the bag, into the freezer for 20-30 minutes before trying to roll the fatty it really helps to keep the roll looking nice and clean.

Reactions: rockymtngt
Fantastic tutorial. I've never seen or heard of this before, but I think I'm in love with a Fatty.

Will be trying these on my WSM asap!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Ray,

Great tutorial by our own "Fatty King"

Thanks,

Bear

BTW Ray: I got to thinking about you going back to school, and getting a new job. I found a perfect briefcase for you. It would be perfect for either school or work, but maybe you should have two of them.

3eb64978_Bacon%20briefcase.jpg

One of the guys at the office was trying to tell me about this a week or so ago.  After my immediate reaction of instant artery clogging I am fairly intrigued, thanks for the turorial.  Got something new to do this week!

One of the guys at the office was trying to tell me about this a week or so ago.  After my immediate reaction of instant artery clogging I am fairly intrigued, thanks for the turorial.  Got something new to do this week!
I'm really suprized that we don't have cardiologist lined up wanting to advertize on the SMF.

Mine used to fuss at me till i brought him some ribs .

I've yet to try one of these, too -- can't wait!  I might actually try to do a Bacon Explosion

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky