Roasted Garlic Pork and Venison Sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I was originally supposed to make venison snack sticks with the FIL but stupid me ordered the wrong sized collagen casings. So with a pack of 19mm casings and no way to stuff them, we called an audible and turned them into a smoked sausage instead.

I basically followed the same template as the Cajun Sausage from a few weeks ago.

For this batch went 50/50 pork and vension and used the roasted garlic seasoning from The Sausage Maker with the appropriate cure#1 added.

10lbs being smoked with a mix of Hickory and Maple.
IMG_4086.jpg

These smoked for 5.5 hours and the IT ranged from 143-147. Pulled them to finish in a hot water bath.
IMG_4090.jpg

Used the Sous Vide circulator again until my final IT was 153F
IMG_4091.jpg

Once the sausage was at my desired IT, I ice bathed and let sit to bloom. Here it is out of the ice.
IMG_4094.jpg

Color is starting to return after blooming.
IMG_4095.jpg

Test piece. For a roasted garlic flavor, this packed a fair amount of heat.
IMG_4093.jpg

I vacuum sealed the remaining sausage after a rest overnight in the fridge.
IMG_4103.jpg

Thanks for looking, the freezer is getting stocked pretty good. Oh and I ended up ordering another stuffer horn for the 19mm casings.

Joe

Looks dang good to me! Been a long time since I made sticks, finally ordered some seasonings from Owen's bbq but need to order casings...and so I don't make the same mistake can you help me out ? How does casing size compare to stuffing horn size? In this case you have 19mm casings, is the correct stuffing horn measured on o.d. of it? I have a 5 lb hakka horizontal stuffer, would have to check to see what horns I have.

Ryan

I'm sure they would be fine if you over nighted me some

Gary

Looks dang good to me! Been a long time since I made sticks, finally ordered some seasonings from Owen's bbq but need to order casings...and so I don't make the same mistake can you help me out ? How does casing size compare to stuffing horn size? In this case you have 19mm casings, is the correct stuffing horn measured on o.d. of it? I have a 5 lb hakka horizontal stuffer, would have to check to see what horns I have.

Ryan

Ryan, if you go to Walton’s they have a chart for stuffer size vs. collagen size. They recommend a 12mm tube for 19mm casings.

My 5lb vertical stuffer came with 3 sizes: 1”. 7/8”. 3/4”.

Now 12mm is roughly a 1/2” (12.7mm to be exact). So I oredered a stainless steel 1/2” OD tube from the Sausage Maker. The SS tubes don’t have a taper like the plastic ones do.

Also, make sure to check your OD of the base of the stuffer to the tube you want to buy. The sizes vary greatly. It can get confusing when buying them.

I usually use my 3/4” horn when using 22mm collagen casings. My brainfart led me to buy 19mm.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Ryan, if you go to Walton’s they have a chart for stuffer size vs. collagen size. They recommend a 12mm tube for 19mm casings.

My 5lb vertical stuffer came with 3 sizes: 1”. 7/8”. 3/4”.

Now 12mm is roughly a 1/2” (12.7mm to be exact). So I oredered a stainless steel 1/2” OD tube from the Sausage Maker. The SS tubes don’t have a taper like the plastic ones do.

Also, make sure to check your OD of the base of the stuffer to the tube you want to buy. The sizes vary greatly. It can get confusing when buying them.

I usually use my 3/4” horn when using 22mm collagen casings. My brainfart led me to buy 19mm.
Thank you! I appreciate your help!

Ryan

Reactions: xray
Joe that is some beautiful sausage!! Color is money and the cut shot of it makes my mouth water!!

Just beautiful Joe!! Some of the best looking sausage I've seen in quite a while. Well done and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride!!

Robert

Joe that is some beautiful sausage!! Color is money and the cut shot of it makes my mouth water!!

Thanks Jeff! It did take on some nice color from the venison.

XR, Wow ,those babies look delicious!

Thanks CM!

Just beautiful Joe!! Some of the best looking sausage I've seen in quite a while. Well done and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride!!

Robert

Thanks Robert! They were good, just brought some in for work so Ill need to make more. Next time will be snack sticks though!

Beautiful color on those smoked link, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

Thanks Ray, they did take on a nice color. Has a tiny and welcoming bit of heat to it too!

Nice work Joe . I like a 50 / 50 venison pork mix for sausage . Great color .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky