Cajun Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
About 5 months ago, tx smoker tx smoker sent me some pre-mixed seasoning to make Cajun sausage. I usually make sausage with my father in law, so with the holidays, work and hunting, it took awhile for our schedules to line up. I must say this is very good, just kind of kicking myself why I didn't make it sooner.

10lbs of ground pork butt, seasoning and cure stuffed into 35-38mm casings:
IMG_3960 (1).jpg

My stuffing skills leaves much to be desired. I don't use natural casings all that much, so I'm a bit rusty. The pre-tubed casings worked great!! But I think my stuffer horn was too small. Used a lot of back pressure to fill these.

Here they are after sitting in the fridge overnight:
IMG_3966.jpg

I started the smoker at 110F and added the sausage with no smoke. I left them go for an hour before adding smoke. I bumped up the temperature 10 degrees every hour until the sausage reached 140IT. I smoked with a mix of Hickory and Maple.
IMG_3968.jpg

They got some nice color!
IMG_3969.jpg

I decided to use my Sous Vide immersion circulator to hot water poach these the rest of the way. My final IT was 152F. I initially tried bagging with freezer bags when adding to the water since I feared it ruin my SV unit. I had a difficult time with the bags fitting in the cambro container I use. So I said F*** it and added the sausages directly to the hot water. I used a meat tote here. The SV worked fine. It took about 40 minutes in the hot water bath to get my target IT.
IMG_3970.jpg

After the hot water bath, I ice bathed the sausage and then let the sausages sit at room temperature for about 2 hours before throwing in the refrigerator overnight to vacuum seal the next morning.

Test sample was delicious!!
IMG_3971.jpg

All sealed and ready to freeze:
IMG_3980.jpg

Again, these were great! They had a little bit of heat but my wife definitely enjoyed them, so that's always a plus! They may not look picture perfect but they were damn good!

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Never tried the sous vide for sausage finishing, they look good & moist. Take mine to 152* also, but in a big pot w/candy thermometer. Takes about 15-20 minutes. So not to much longer.
Thanks for the idea...

Your stuffing technique looks good & your sausage looks awesome. Great idea on using sous vide for poaching. Happen to know where he got premix?

Good looking sausage. Me likee.

Thanks kruizer!

Never tried the sous vide for sausage finishing, they look good & moist. Take mine to 152* also, but in a big pot w/candy thermometer. Takes about 15-20 minutes. So not to much longer.
Thanks for the idea...

Thanks 1finder! I couldn't find much on finishing them sous vide, just in pots or turkey roasters. The sous vide is nice because you don't have to worry about going over your target IT, probably don't need a water bath after since it won't cook past that.

I was just worried that my circulator would get ruined sticking it directly into the water with oils in it, but it worked well and I used the SV afterwards for another project for 12 hours, so there was no ill effects.

Your stuffing technique looks good & your sausage looks awesome. Great idea on using sous vide for poaching. Happen to know where he got premix?

Thanks buzzy, it has a good bite to it. I am not allowed to know the ingredients of the mix. Robert just sent it to me pre-mixed. I won't ask further than that.

looks great Joe, I don't see nothing wrong with your casing stuffing,

Thanks Jim, It looked like I could have used improvement during stuffing, I had some air pockets that I pricked and worked out. It ended up looking much better after it was smoked.

But it tastes good and that's what count. It looks no worse than some of the local Kielbasa we get around here.

Looks good bud ! Great texture on that sausage . I've done / finished sausage with SV , works great .
Nice work .

Thanks kruizer!

I understand!

Thanks 1finder! I couldn't find much on finishing them sous vide, just in pots or turkey roasters. The sous vide is nice because you don't have to worry about going over your target IT, probably don't need a water bath after since it won't cook past that.

I was just worried that my circulator would get ruined sticking it directly into the water with oils in it, but it worked well and I used the SV afterwards for another project for 12 hours, so there was no ill effects.

Thanks buzzy, it has a good bite to it. I am not allowed to know the ingredients of the mix. Robert just sent it to me pre-mixed. I won't ask further than that.

Joe...some great looking stuff my friend!! Not a thing in the world wrong with your stuffing techniques. I've seen (and done) a lot worse. What it all boils down to is if you, and more importantly, your wife, like it. Sounds like you hit a home run. Great job sir. I love the idea of finishing it sous vide. Never thought about it but it seems as though it'd be a perfect finish. Now...where is that pastrami??

About 5 months ago, tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker tx smoker sent me some pre-mixed seasoning to make Cajun sausage.

Just for the record, it was pre-mixed by me, not bought someplace :emoji_astonished: That recipe came to me via a registered, certified coon ass who was born, raised, and still lives in the LA swamp lands. It has been in his family for 5 generations, over 120 years. His ancestors owned a small country store / deli out in the middle of nowhere and the sausage was their family staple that kept them in an income. It is a very closely kept family secret and I was thrilled beyond belief to gain access to it. Before anybody asks, no, I cannot share the recipe. It was shared in confidence and I was asked to keep it close to my chest. I will honor that request but will happily send as much spice mix to anybody who would like some as they need. I just cannot give you the recipe. Just send me a PM as Joe did....but don't leave me in suspense for months before you make it :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
About 5 months ago, tx smoker tx smoker sent me some pre-mixed seasoning to make Cajun sausage. I usually make sausage with my father in law, so with the holidays, work and hunting, it took awhile for our schedules to line up. I must say this is very good, just kind of kicking myself why I didn't make it sooner.

10lbs of ground pork butt, seasoning and cure stuffed into 35-38mm casings:
View attachment 430927

My stuffing skills leaves much to be desired. I don't use natural casings all that much, so I'm a bit rusty. The pre-tubed casings worked great!! But I think my stuffer horn was too small. Used a lot of back pressure to fill these.

Here they are after sitting in the fridge overnight:
View attachment 430926

I started the smoker at 110F and added the sausage with no smoke. I left them go for an hour before adding smoke. I bumped up the temperature 10 degrees every hour until the sausage reached 140IT. I smoked with a mix of Hickory and Maple.
View attachment 430923

They got some nice color!
View attachment 430922

I decided to use my Sous Vide immersion circulator to hot water poach these the rest of the way. My final IT was 152F. I initially tried bagging with freezer bags when adding to the water since I feared it ruin my SV unit. I had a difficult time with the bags fitting in the cambro container I use. So I said F*** it and added the sausages directly to the hot water. I used a meat tote here. The SV worked fine. It took about 40 minutes in the hot water bath to get my target IT.
View attachment 430921

After the hot water bath, I ice bathed the sausage and then let the sausages sit at room temperature for about 2 hours before throwing in the refrigerator overnight to vacuum seal the next morning.

Test sample was delicious!!
View attachment 430920

All sealed and ready to freeze:
View attachment 430919

Again, these were great! They had a little bit of heat but my wife definitely enjoyed them, so that's always a plus! They may not look picture perfect but they were damn good!

Thanks for looking,

Joe

what premix did you use?.Can it be ordered online?

No, it's not available online. Please see my responses. It is a very old family recipe that I got hands on. There are a couple of replies from me above telling the story.

Robert

what premix did you use?.Can it be ordered online?

Here is my response when the question was previously asked

Just for the record, it was pre-mixed by me, not bought someplace :emoji_astonished: That recipe came to me via a registered, certified coon ass who was born, raised, and still lives in the LA swamp lands. It has been in his family for 5 generations, over 120 years. His ancestors owned a small country store / deli out in the middle of nowhere and the sausage was their family staple that kept them in an income. It is a very closely kept family secret and I was thrilled beyond belief to gain access to it. Before anybody asks, no, I cannot share the recipe. It was shared in confidence and I was asked to keep it close to my chest. I will honor that request but will happily send as much spice mix to anybody who would like some as they need. I just cannot give you the recipe. Just send me a PM as Joe did....but don't leave me in suspense for months before you make it :emoji_wink:

Robert

Joe...some great looking stuff my friend!! Not a thing in the world wrong with your stuffing techniques. I've seen (and done) a lot worse. What it all boils down to is if you, and more importantly, your wife, like it. Sounds like you hit a home run. Great job sir. I love the idea of finishing it sous vide. Never thought about it but it seems as though it'd be a perfect finish. Now...where is that pastrami??

Robert

Robert when I saw premix instantly thought store bought. I understand what has be bestowed upon you. Quite a honor for sure. I will send u a pm for some. Will be making end of the month to give u feed back.
Thanks a lot!

Not sure how to pm. Could u explain? Not very tech savvy.

Completely understand Buzzy. When I read the post I was about to send myself a PM asking if I could get on the mailing list :emoji_astonished:

To send a PM:
-Go to the envelope in the top right of your screen and click on it (it's beside the circle with your avatar in it)
-You'll see a drop-down box. Go to the bottom right of that box and you'll see "Start a new conversation"
-Click on that and a whole new screen will open
-Go to the top of that screen. It will ask for a recipient and a subject line
-Enter those, go to the dialog box, and type your message.
-When done, click the icon at the bottom that says something to the effect of "Start Conversation"

Sounds like a lot of steps but it's really easy once you've done it a time or three thousand :emoji_laughing:

Wondering what my snail mail address is,
Robert

You can just mouse over the name and choose start conversation from this thread or if on phone other tablet tap the user name

Reactions: indaswamp
Joe you can send ugly stuffed to me for proper disposal, I am certain they will be properly taken care of. You can always throw some dish detergent in after you finish the sausage to clean any oil out of the SV unit. Nice job bud
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky