Roast on a Yoder YS640s Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alphonse

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Gulf Coast Alabama
I've had my Yoder YS640s for a little over 2 months now. I bought it because it is built like a tank and has a FireBoard PID controller built in. I have cooked on it numerous times now and have learned how to use the beast.

I do have several other options to cook a roast on (kamado, stick burner, charcoal, . . . ) but my wife requested it be cooked on the Yoder. She liked the outcome as did the rest of the family. Here are a few photos and the cooking record.

At start:

at start.jpg
One hour into cook:

1 hour into cook S.jpg
Finishing up with the sear:

finishing sear.jpg

The Fireboard Record:

FireBoard record.JPG

I've had my Yoder YS640s for a little over 2 months now. I bought it because it is built like a tank and has a FireBoard PID controller built in. I have cooked on it numerous times now and have learned how to use the beast.

I do have several other options to cook a roast on (kamado, stick burner, charcoal, . . . ) but my wife requested it be cooked on the Yoder. She liked the outcome as did the rest of the family. Here are a few photos and the cooking record.

At start:

View attachment 425321
One hour into cook:

View attachment 425320
Finishing up with the sear:

View attachment 425322

The Fireboard Record:

View attachment 425323
That looks incredible . How did you sear it

That looks incredible . How did you sear it
The Yoder has a door in its deflector plate that you remove and you cook above the open door. It is hotter than the "hobs of hell" when you do that. The third photo above is showing the door open and the sear underway.

It's interesting that folks don't believe you can sear on a pellet grill but the Yoder does it remarkably well.

I have three sets of grill grates and only use them occasionally on a PK360 and a MHP gas grill when cooking steaks and chops.

I haven't found them useful on the pellet grill. Perhaps I didn't give them a fair chance but I mostly cook low and slow on the Yoder pellet grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky