Roast Beef, pic heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
Following up on a post I made about a week ago here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/nice-bottom-round-roast-what-to-do.319571/ Thank you to everyone that contributed to that discussion especially TNJAKE TNJAKE , chopsaw chopsaw and tx smoker tx smoker . I mostly followed TNJAKE's prep and cook, Chop's sammie making and TX smoker's beef rub. I have to say it turned out quite well and will certainly be getting done again. One mistake: I over ground the rub, take it easy when ya do it! A big snafu: about 45min after putting the meat on I was busy changing out the main light in the kitchen when I looked out the window to see the smoker flashing an error code! I go out, fire is out, no heat, seems the probe wire had gotten loose from the control board. Fixed that and back to cooking!

Anyhow, food pics...

Roast:

IMG_1103.JPG

Started with the Kosmo's Brisket injection. Somehow pulling the kit out makes me feel like a junkie like Travolta in Pulp Fiction. Ever notice his kit has a glass syringe but when they show the blood it's a plastic syringe? ;)

IMG_1114.JPG

Sat in the reefer o/n, fired up the smoker to 225°F, I used PitBoss competition pellets like I usually do. Let her roll about 3hrs (give or take, refer to the fire going out incident above). Pretty nice day for late January...

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

After cooking, cooled and rested o/n. Sliced by hand for dinner with some onions Chopsaw style:

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

Dig in!:

IMG_1144.JPG

Why o why do these pic sometimes rotate!?!?!
IMG_1145.JPG

And finally lets put it on the slicer:

IMG_1148.JPG

Thanks for looking and happy smoking!

Attachments

• IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That looks plain delicious! And in my eyes, au jus is just another form of gravy! Love the onions as well.

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks! I love French dips, gotta have the right au jus, a little tricky since I didnt have much in the way of drippings but some doctored up better than bullion saved the day.

It's a beautiful thing to see, I love a good French dip! I have a FD about every 3-4 weeks, about as often as a cheesesteak off the flattop. I've taken to keeping a nice supply of McCormick's Au Jus in the pantry, I stock up when it's on sale for 99¢ a pack, get two sanny's out of each pack. Frugal and lazy, that's me! RAY

Fantastic . That's a really nice piece of beef . You nailed it too . Pellet grills are perfect for doing these .
Sandwich looks spot on for me . I like the overnight rest for these cuts .
Making me want a sandwich . Nice work on that .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Absolutely beautiful!! That roast is perfectly cooked and one can only guess those sandwiches are off the charts good. I'd have been inclined to make some mashed taters with lots of gravy fr the first meal and sandwiches after that....but that's just me. Some darned fine eating going on there!!

Robert

Man thst sandwich is something I’d love to devour!! Beef looks perfect. Often wider pic shots will flip on the phone. On my iPhone if you open the pic, click edit you can rotate and crop pics there. Here it is flipped and edited a bit WaterRat WaterRat
E909E72F-2832-4A1C-8830-97B3C98602F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Perfect sandwich that had perfectly cooked meat in it!
I can just taste it dunked in the Au Jus!
Al

Fantastic . That's a really nice piece of beef . You nailed it too . Pellet grills are perfect for doing these .
Sandwich looks spot on for me . I like the overnight rest for these cuts .
Making me want a sandwich . Nice work on that .
Thanks Chop, those onions were great!
Absolutely beautiful!! That roast is perfectly cooked and one can only guess those sandwiches are off the charts good. I'd have been inclined to make some mashed taters with lots of gravy fr the first meal and sandwiches after that....but that's just me. Some darned fine eating going on there!!

Robert
Thanks! Trying to cut down on the extra carbs a bit ;)
Perfect looking sandwich and the dip, I love the onions also and thats a must. :emoji_yum:
I could dig into those for sure.

David
Thank you! Try Chop’s way of doing the onions if you haven’t already.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
It's a beautiful thing to see, I love a good French dip! I have a FD about every 3-4 weeks, about as often as a cheesesteak off the flattop. I've taken to keeping a nice supply of McCormick's Au Jus in the pantry, I stock up when it's on sale for 99¢ a pack, get two sanny's out of each pack. Frugal and lazy, that's me! RAY
Thanks Ray. I initially was making the jus with some onions garlic thyme and beef broth but it didn’t have nearly enough flavor. Added in some better than bullion and got it roughly where I wanted it.

Thanks! Trying to cut down on the extra carbs a bit ;)
I understand. You might want to look into the keto cauliflower mashed that jcam222 jcam222 makes. It is basically carb free if I remember correctly and every bit as good as taters. I know of several people who are making it now and just rave about the stuff....that is if you're referring to not doing the taters I mentioned because of the carbs.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky