Ring Bologna?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck steve

Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
LaGrangevill, N.Y.
My Grandad used to have his venison made into ring bologna which was then smoked. He was located in central Pa., near Williamsport. It had a unique flavor that I crave for, I'm in upstate NY and no one here knows how to make it. I even sent for the spices from the butcher shop that makes it down there and then took it to an old German butcher to make for me, but it's just not right.

Is there anyone from the Pa. area that knows what I'm talking about and wants to share their secret??

Thanks!

Go to the sausagemaker.com thats were I get allot of my spices a seasonings . A good spot to look for recipes is stuffers.com I've made a lot of bologna this year and I like Cabela's seasonings the best so far , I add jalapeños , garlic and sometimes a handful of cheddar cheese..........TOM

I will post a recipe tomorrow for you that I really like. This is a more german recipe but it might be worth a shot. Talk to you tomorrow.

BOLOGNA

INGREDIENTS FOR 25 LBS
18 LBS LEAN MEAT
7 LBS PORK BUTT
2.5 TSP GROUND WHITE PEPPER
½ CUP GROUND MUSTARD
2.5 TBS GROUND CELERY
2.5 TSP GROUND NUTMEG
2.5 TSP GROUND CORIANDER
2.5 TSP GARLIC POWDER
¾ CUP POWDERED DEXTROSE
5 CUPS SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE
5 CUPS ICE WATER
5 TSP INSTACURE NO. 1
2/3 CUP SALT

GRIND THRU A 3/16 PLATE AND MIX IN INGREDIENTS AND WATER AS YOU GO. I USUALLY STUFF IN 8†CASINGS BUT ANY SIZE WILL WORK. AFTER STUFFING HANG TILL DRY THEN PUT IN SMOKER THAT IS AT 165 DEGREES UNTIL INTERNAL TEMP IS 150. THEN COLD SHOWER TILL INTERNAL TEMP IS 90 DEGREES. IF YOU LIKE IT COARSER YOU CAN EMULSIFY THE MEAT IF YOU WANT.

IF YOU TRY THIS LET ME KNOW IF YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO

Hey Steve Where in NY are you my dad is from pa, and he makes the garlic ring bologna taste great better than alot of the stuff you buy in the stores in pa. they seem to be mushy his isnt i'll get the recipe from him and send it to you if you send me your email addy but he doesnt like to give his recipes so its between you and i ok.
Allan AKA undertaker2401

Undertaker, don't ya just hate when they do that to ya?!! Luckily, I was able to learn a lot of my dad's little cooking secrets while growing up. Now that he has passed on, I get calls from my brothers and sister asking "When dad cooked ______, what did he add or how long did he cook it for?" So far they haven't been able to stump me (yet), But I've been cooking and experimenting for so long now that I can give them a good alternative to go with.

Earl i do hate it when he does that but i eventually get the recipe cause he'll want one of mine lol ive learned so much just watching him he will smoke chunks of deer meat and slice it up no need for cooking just eat away my youngest asked him for his recipe for that cause she will go to his house and eat all his smoked meat and he told her well tell your dad to make some and she just tells him he cant papa he doesnt have the recipe he just laughs he makes it when ever they ask for it lol but i'll get it sooner or later

Shoot yeah!! I mean since you got him back into a "productive" life of smoking meats, he ought to give you all his recipes-even the ones he "forgot" about!! :twisted:

I know what you are talking about I make my own ring bologna and smoked kielbasa also jerky,venison sticks,smoked turkey and ham I love smoking meats want to start my own business soon

I live in eastern Pa. and I know all about ring bologna I smoke my owm also make smoked kielbasa,venison sticks,smoked turkey,jerky and hams I love smoking meats

The taste comes from using beef not pork in the mix. Some recipes call for beef hearts, some just for shoulder chuck. We use the latter. No additives or fillers. Just meat and spices! 

Redneck Steve,

Living near Williamsport, PA, we know what ring bologna is for sure.  If you want to buy some commercial product that is popular here and pretty good, try the Country Store in Pennsdale, PA if ever in the Muncy, PA area near the intersection of route 220 and I-180.  Most of the local supermarkets stock Country Store brand or similar ring bolognas.

My brother-in-law makes an excellent (to our taste) venison ring bologna using 20 lb of venison and 5 lbs of lean pork.  I have a couple recipes lying around for more-or-less typical Lycoming County ring bolognas, but hesitate to share them because the devil is in the details.  Grinding, mixing, setting time after mixing in the spices, smoke wood to use (b-i-l prefers birch), smoking time and water cook time are, or can be, critical.  Cook too long or too hot and the casing separates from the meat, for example.

Personal taste preferences also come into play, so nobody can point you toward a recipe you might like.  Our preference is NO GARLIC.  This must be something of a regional PA German thing.  I was raised being spoon-fed the information that garlic in meat was sort of like too much perfume on a woman.  Makes you wonder what is being hidden by it.  Strong boar hog pork?  Tainted meat? 

One recipe I have has no garlic, but does have a bit of red pepper in it, Just a little sting and not enough to make you run for the icewater.  The man who shared the recipe with me loved it.  To me it was just OK.

Anyway, if you are still on this forum and want to try one or both of the recipes, I will share with the understanding that nothing is guaranteed insofar as results.

Jack

Jack - 

I'd love to have any ring bologna recipes you have.  A friend and I plan to tackle ring bologna this spring.  We are in Eastern PA and have grown up on the stuff.  If you want to send it to my e-mail rather than posting it, let me know.

Bill

Guys,

I'll try to find the time to reply with the two recipes soon.  My wife's having very serious health problems and I have taken over all of the household chores in addition to being a caregiver and doing the other things I must around the house and farm.  Sorry to disappoint, but that's how it is.

Jack

Old Amish Ring Bologna is made with pork.  Today we have non edible & edible collagen rounds.

For 2.5 lbs in a couple different ways.

2 lbs lean pork

1/2lb  back fat

OR

2 lb pork shoulder

1/2 lb beef heart or wild game.

Grind the meats thru med plate 2x

2 t salt

1/2 t cure #1

1 t ground mustard, packed

1 t white pepper

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t marjoram

2 garlic cloves chopped fine

1/2 cup fine powder milk (opt)

1/2 cup cold water

You can double if you like. I like all beef ring also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky