Ribs... when to wrap?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binxpercy

Original poster
Nov 24, 2021
I'm having trouble figuring out when to wrap ribs. What's your tell signs that ribs are ready to wrap? And when are they done? I've tried following timelines on videos I've seen but they come out overdone and dried out. I think I'm giving them too much time... Thanks all!

I'm having trouble figuring out when to wrap ribs. What's your tell signs that ribs are ready to wrap? And when are they done? I've tried following timelines on videos I've seen but they come out overdone and dried out. I think I'm giving them too much time... Thanks all!
For a newbie start off with the 3-2-1 method if doing spare ribs and the 2-2-1 method for baby backs. Then tweak those times from there depending on your preference. For instance when I do baby backs, instead of the standard 2-2-1 I like 3-1-1…that is 3 hours on the smoke, 1 hour in the foil wrap, and 1 hour back in the smoke to firm things back up and glaze with sauce the last 15-30 mins. Some people don’t wrap at all. Just go straight 4-5 hours and do the “bend test”. I’ll take my tongs and hold the rack about 1/3rd of the way. If the meat bends on its own and the surface of the meat starts to crack, they’re done. I do prefer the wrap methods though because I feel it helps make a more consistently moist rack throughout.

Reactions: binxpercy
For a newbie start off with the 3-2-1 method if doing spare ribs and the 2-2-1 method for baby backs. Then tweak those times from there depending on your preference. For instance when I do baby backs, instead of the standard 2-2-1 I like 3-1-1…that is 3 hours on the smoke, 1 hour in the foil wrap, and 1 hour back in the smoke to firm things back up and glaze with sauce the last 15-30 mins. Some people don’t wrap at all. Just go straight 4-5 hours and do the “bend test”. I’ll take my tongs and hold the rack about 1/3rd of the way. If the meat bends on its own and the surface of the meat starts to crack, they’re done. I do prefer the wrap methods though because I feel it helps make a more consistently moist rack throughout.
Thanks bgaviator! If you do wrap, do you always go by time on the smoke before deciding they're ready to wrap, or is there a characteristic of the ribs itself that tells you they're ready?

Ummm. I have never tried wrapping. I guess I am to lazy to try it.

Why don't you wrap? Just curious.
Because my method works for me.

I primarily smoke St. Louis cuts and they just don't need it.
Nine times out of ten I do a dry rub, leave the membrane on the back, straight smoke at 225°-240° for about 6-7 hours, and go by eye and feel using the Pop, Bend and Crack test.
Perfect light tug bite every time.

If I get a special request, such as sauced, beer braised or Fall Off the Bone (over cooked) then I'll change my ways.
But otherwise why?

Thanks bgaviator! If you do wrap, do you always go by time on the smoke before deciding they're ready to wrap, or is there a characteristic of the ribs itself that tells you they're ready?
I go by time if doing the wrap. That’s the beauty of the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods. As long as you’re holding 225-230 in your smoker, they should be done following those times. If you find 2-2-1 ribs (baby backs) are TOO tender and fall apart (some people like a little bit more firm meat) then that’s why you can play with the numbers. I like 3-1-1 personally.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Iagree with starting with 321 St louis or 221 baby back. I tend to do 311 and 211 for my wife and I, but some like fall off the bone and 321 or 221 works perfectly. Try some one way and then experiment. Remember take pictures and report back.

Wrap on color, pull on tenderness. This pretty much works on all barbecued meat.

For example, these have smoked for maybe 2.5 hours, the bark is set but the color is not quite there. They need another hour at least before deciding on wrapping.
YFvMr1G.jpg
This is after maybe 45 minutes in the wrap (and flipped over so the meat side is now up). The next step is to go back on the pit to firm up the bark and then glaze if you like saucy ribs.
jh56Ude.jpg
Tenderness is highly subjective, but with a little practice (and a calibrated toothpick) your can dial in whatever degree of tenderness you like. I like the meat to bite away easily and leave a clean bone, but I don't like my ribs so tender that the meat is 'fall-off-the-bone' tender.
Y31NrKM.jpg
Just for a pork color reference, here are some various degrees of color on pork butts before wrapping. Butts are a little more predictable than ribs, usually when I get the color I want, the internal is somewheres around 160°F.
OGaXVuD.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t wrap anymore either unless I’m in a pinch. Usually just let baby back and St. Louis ribs roll for about 5 hours until I see pretty good pullback on the bones. I honestly don’t even prove them.

Hi there and welcome!

I don't wrap. I get better tasting ribs when I don't wrap. I have tried wrapped vs unwrapped and the unwrapped win hands down 100x over for me.

I follow SmokinAl SmokinAl 's technique of putting a meat probe in the center of the rack in the thick meat area. This approach makes things simple and consistent EVERY time!

In short Al takes his ribs to 195F internal temp. I take mine to 198F because I like mine a little more tender but not quite fall off the bone.

Now, I still check for overall tenderness by stabbing all over with a tooth pic or the thermometer meat probe itself when it reaches my 198F temp.

Why? Ribs are technically only done when they are tender. Not by time and not exactly by temp.

See it is easy to misplace a thermometer temp probe and miss getting a temp reading from the spot you were looking for (what if u put too deep, hit a bone, too shallow, or wrong spot??).

Now with ribs they are thin enough that you can more reliably nail the probe placement or use 2+ probes to help out so if you place your probe right then you basically ensure they are done at your desired temp (198F for me).
BUT, I would always urge someone to simply do the stabbing tenderness test to confirm it is tender and therefore done.

It cost nothing to stab and check, but costs you the quality of a whole rack of ribs to not check and to be wrong.

No matter if its a 2 pound rack or a 5 pound rack. St Louise vs Whole Spare rack vs Babybacks.
Al's technique along with tenderness check will consistently get you the ribs you desire.

You can use Al's method with wrapped or unwrapped.
I suggest you do 2 racks 1 unwrapped and the other wrapped both using Al's technique for consistency in tenderness. THEN you can see what I mean about flavor in wrapped vs unwrapped and boom you have begun to nail your ribs!!!

At this point you just need repeated success, some minor tweaks for your tastes, and to develop the overall experience to achieve the best and most consistent results possible!

I hope this info helps :)

I don't wrap 95% of the time. However if I want to use the rib meat as the protein of another dish. Then I'll wrap and take them to FOTB so I can easily remove all the meat from the bone. If I'm planing on eating the ribs as ribs then it's no wrap and the bend test for me.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky