Ribs for Presidents...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nascott

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Western Suburbs of Chicagoland
Its about to snow in Chicago, so why not fire up the smoker!

My first smoking of ribs and my mouth is already watering.. Used my traditional rub I found in a grilling magazine years ago that includes brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, coarse black pepper, salt and cumin and I am going to use apple wood. Here's how it's starting...

I always forget how hard it is to maintain temp in a blowing snowstorm... At least I know it's warm enough to melt the snow!

Am using GoodOne charcoal and although I was able to keep 245 for a while, once it starts losing heat, it seems to lose it pretty quick in this weather and I haven't built a wind shield yet so I am relying on the gas grill for that. I am still learning how to modulate the temp with the vents... Any tricks people might have would be appreciated as I don't have a guru yet.

I learn somethin new every smoke, not that it'll help ya now but a lot of folks use a welding blanket and if ya use search bar for windbreaks or insulation for WSM's, there's some real creative folks on here !! Hope this helps !

Last edited:
The final Q-View... Really happy with the level of cooking. Just enough bite needed to take it off the bone, but they come off real clean. Wish I had let them sit with the rub for more than 3 hours, as I usually let them sit overnight when I used to do them on the grill.

Thanks to everyone on all these boards for the tips.. This really is a great resource!

Those ribs are fit for a president!!! Did a great Job and they look great!!. Finaly getting some temps in the 30's this week. Never seen so many day's below zero this winter.  The smoker will be working!! Reinhard

The final Q-View... Really happy with the level of cooking. Just enough bite needed to take it off the bone, but they come off real clean. Wish I had let them sit with the rub for more than 3 hours, as I usually let them sit overnight when I used to do them on the grill.

Thanks to everyone on all these boards for the tips.. This really is a great resource!

There ya go, Thumbs Up. Great lookin smoke, y'all had some good eatin there, nice job ! Justin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky