Ribs Figured Out - Maybe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronrpk

Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Hi all - I mentioned in my roll call introduction that I have been having trouble with my ribs coming out.  The texture, tenderness, pull off the bone seem good but they always have an odd flavor to them.  I think I might have them figured out.  The ribs I have been buying have been Hormel from Jewel,,. with 12% salt and other undesirables.  After a lot of Googling maybe this is the problem.  The meat just seems a little too pinkish all the way through and maybe "hammy".  And of course not knowing any better I used salt in my rub so they were probably way too salty.

Here are my latest specs:

Pellet grill using apple wood set at 235

2 hours unwrapped

1 1/2 hours wrapped

20 mins or so unwrapped with sauce

So, bought some ribs at Sam's Club today which I think is not packaged and soaking in any "enhancements".

We will see, a slab in on the smoker now.

--- Ron

To keep things consistent, I made the ribs using the same techniques as I have been.  Same wood, times, temp, foil, etc. only difference being the ribs were "non-enhanced".

Wow - big difference.  Using the "non-enhanced" ribs were much much better.  Actually tasted like ribs this time instead of that "off" flavor.

Now I'm kind of excited to see how else they can be improved.

My pics aren't the greatest but I attached a few.

Ron

Reactions: betaboy
Great looking ribs - meat pulling back off the bones, etc. etc.

Were these back loin ribs or St. Louis cut spares?

The cooking/wrapping times you used and the middle picture especially look like back loins but the amount of meat on the cut rib reminds me more of spare ribs.

Whatever they were you nailed 'em..............

Way to go................

Looks like you got it!!!
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky