Ribs, chicken & smoked queso

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
First, I’d like to apologize to the mods for placing this in the general category; wasn’t sure where best to put it.
But today I started up at about 9am. Fired the fatboy up with lump charcoal and pecan wood. St Louis spares & chicken for a few clients, and smoked queso for us to enjoy while cooking.

2372CA66-1CA5-4E08-8C2C-27794815DE68.jpeg
6 really nice racks. I used mustard as a base; and two rubs: ribnoxious and Malcom Reed the bbq rub.
6738364F-0192-4BDB-83DF-AA2E65C6E516.jpeg
on the top rack of the fatboy. They cooked so nice and evenly, I hardly had to even move them. Plan was to sauce 5 racks and leave one rack dry.
3F19136D-D3E2-4612-ADE5-2B03FF9F5E04.jpeg
ok here’s the queso. It’s a conglomeration of recipes floating around the Internet right now. I used a block of velveeta, one pack of philly cream cheese, one red bell pepper,1/4 red onion, jimmy dean hot sausage, ground burger, Cilantro, mezzetta hot jalapeños,two cans of rotel and a can of cream of mushroom. I ran this at 250 for about 2.5 hours, stirring often. This stuff is really good!!
4BF17E9C-AA91-4EDE-85A6-5892AD17431E.jpeg

Added to the party two whole spatchcock chickens. I brined them overnight, then rinsed, patted dry and let them sit overnight, uncovered in the fridge ( chef jimmyj chef jimmyj ). The next morning I rubbed them down with evoo, and rubbed them with chupacabra cluckalicious rub. Bumped temps to about 275 (so they ran about 300+ on the top rack at the hottest part). Chicken took right at 3 hours to make.
D9865ABC-5112-4D9D-8390-45DE33D50A3E.jpeg
queso starting to look good!!

42F3A38E-30B1-419B-B364-7F88B2270F7C.jpeg
got the ribs nice and glazed. I’ve been using the Blues Hog sauces. I mixed several together today. Came out great as usual. Honestly, it’s hard for me to tell a difference with a lot of sauces, once they hit the meat, glaze up and get some smoke. Regardless, sweet, savory, smoky and sticky. Just the way I like them.
9D008543-2AF3-4EEE-B909-8552ACA844F2.jpeg
6A9686D5-EE81-41B7-8CEF-5CABB1910346.jpeg
queso is ready to go! Fantastic, will defintely do again. Fortunately I didn’t get too much of this, but I could have made myself sick on it!!
1BC70A19-8E35-466E-A25C-70F4DA024B34.jpeg
This was the only chicken pick I got. Kinda poor. But it sure was good and juicy. And the skin was nice and crispy.
E792FE58-32CF-49A0-BE45-50D60C20BBAF.jpeg
Ribs ready for a wrap and rest. We only got to eat off of one half rack. I got maybe two or three bites, but they came out so great!
DF882B32-7488-4F8F-9F09-0B26DF370C59.jpeg
Nice little smoke ring. Super juicy and bite thru tender. Nothing but naked bones left!!
Thanks for looking! Hope everyone has a great weekend! D017B4A3-7519-4464-81B5-4ADDFCACAA0C.jpeg

Man that looks great. May have to try the queso but sub in some chorizo instead of the bfast sausage

Reactions: 73saint
Nice cook! I’m a pretty big fan of the smoked queso. Is The BBQ rub by Malcom Reed any good? Been thinking about getting some just haven’t got around to it yet.

Nice cook! I’m a pretty big fan of the smoked queso. Is The BBQ rub by Malcom Reed any good? Been thinking about getting some just haven’t got around to it yet.
I love it. I’ve been using it for years. I love the color it gives my ribs.

Reactions: Smkryng
That queso looks amazing!!! Have to agree with the chorizo comment. I would switch that and then eat the whole thing... With the wife's help!

I love it. I’ve been using it for years. I love the color it gives my ribs.
I had a feeling it was probably pretty good stuff. Any of Malcolm Reeds recipes I’ve tried have been good, I thought his rubs were probably worth checking out.

Nice spread. The Queso is different and sounds good...JJ

Man that looks great. May have to try the queso but sub in some chorizo instead of the bfast sausage
Kevin, I agree with the chorizo, but I have to say the jimmy dean is really good. We’ve been making a similar dip with JD for as long as I can remember. The original recipe called for spicy Italian. I’m currently out and wasn’t sure about any of the grocery store brands.

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Nice spread. The Queso is different and sounds good...JJ
Thanks Chef! Man, ever since I’ve started brining my chickens per your recipe (to the letter WITH brown sugar) everyone raves. And I also make sure to pull em from the brine and dry them the night before. Again, I learned that from you so thanks!!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
You are Welcome. Been using that Brine a long time and it makes a difference...JJ

That’s a lot of food and it all looks great! I’ll say the queso must be extra flavorful on the smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky