Ribs and Ruuners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
Tomorrow I’m cooking Baby Backs and Runners (chicken quarters) for about 25 people. I’m trying to figure out how many racks and how many runners to cook up. I’m also doing a double batch of Dutchs wicked baked beans And folks will be bringing some salads and deserts.
what’s your thoughts.
Thanks

Without knowing the guests preferences it's impossible to get it exactly right unless of course you cook enough for everyone to have a serving of both meats.
Figure three bones per guest rib wise, and as many runners as you have room to cook.
Leftovers are always welcome in the freezer.

Reactions: culpepersmoke
For Adults and Teens, figure 3 people per Rack and 1 Leg Quarter. So 8 Racks and 25 Leg Quarters. Plenty of food and Aunt Jenny can take a plate home for another day...JJ

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I always over cook. I woulda said 1/2 rack and a leg quarter per person, but Chef JJ is probably more accurate with extra. Yeah, especially serving with baked beans and guests bringing other sides.

I have found parting out the leg 1/4’s speeds the cook up, always plan for leftovers cause like he said freezer can always hold a little more lol

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I always over cook. I woulda said 1/2 rack and a leg quarter per person, but Chef JJ is probably more accurate with extra. Yeah, especially serving with baked beans and guests bringing other sides.
Everyone serving like their dish is the only thing being eaten 🤣 Factor in his side plus all the other sides and you've got enough for 60 people.
With all you said is being served, you're fine with 12 quarters and 6 racks and you'll still have a bunch of leftovers. If you want a little extra that are easy, throw some brawts on there to smoke.

We had a lot of leftovers but everyone was happy to take home a “doggie bag “. Thanks again

Attachments

• 1B36D094-CF81-4A6F-B7C7-8F63C737143F.jpeg
    1B36D094-CF81-4A6F-B7C7-8F63C737143F.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: chef jimmyj
With my extended family, on Holiday Gatherings and the like, IF there is not enough for people, especially the Senior members, to take a plate home...They talk about how Cheap you are!😆...JJ

With my extended family, on Holiday Gatherings and the like, IF there is not enough for people, especially the Senior members, to take a plate home...They talk about how Cheap you are!😆...JJ
I love having leftovers, so always overcook, whether just for us, or plus company.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky